Join now - be part of our community!

What PLEX server are people using

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
JADASTIC
Explorer

What PLEX server are people using

Hi, I have just been messing about with PLEX on my PC and it's a great product. I notice that now my Bravia KDL-32HX753 has the PLEX app and I can log in etc. But at the moment (not sure why) I can't connect to the PLEX server running on the PC. I was just trying to test the system out before I looked for a NAS PLEX server option, ....  but what are other's using for their PLEX server, I dont want to leave my PC on all the time. I have videos stored on a Seagate NAS at the moment. Of course I can see the disc and videos/music/images from the TV using DNLA but I thought the PLEX option looked a lot smarter. Or is there another product that does this better. Cheers 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
JADASTIC
Explorer

Hi Malcky, thanks for the suggestion. I never thought of using a mini. My seagate NAS isn't beefy enough to run the Plex Server but this is an alternative. I must admit I'm not an Apple fan (worked for HP for 25 yrs) but I'll certainly have a look at it, Thank again.

View solution in original post

malcky
Explorer

Your welcome,

I bought the Mac mini for the purpose of being a htpc last year and was also before I had ever heard of plex, soon discovered that the Mac mini needed to have a lot of my hi-def media converted to a Mac friendly format which was a pain so looked at other things and that's when I discovered plex and have to say I love it. No need to convert anything, just simply add the media to the relevant folder I've got for movies or tv shows etc and plex does the rest. 

Im sure there will be far cheaper things to use as a server than a Mac mini but I'm happy with my set up. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
malcky
Explorer

Hi there, 

I have the plex media server running on a Mac Mini which is on 24/7 in my house and works a treat for all devices within the household (wired or wirelessly) that has the plex app installed on each device. 

My parents, my brother and a few friends each have access to my plex media from within their own homes too using the + friends option in plex, which they all say works perfectly too. 

profile.country.GB.title
JADASTIC
Explorer

Hi Malcky, thanks for the suggestion. I never thought of using a mini. My seagate NAS isn't beefy enough to run the Plex Server but this is an alternative. I must admit I'm not an Apple fan (worked for HP for 25 yrs) but I'll certainly have a look at it, Thank again.

malcky
Explorer

Your welcome,

I bought the Mac mini for the purpose of being a htpc last year and was also before I had ever heard of plex, soon discovered that the Mac mini needed to have a lot of my hi-def media converted to a Mac friendly format which was a pain so looked at other things and that's when I discovered plex and have to say I love it. No need to convert anything, just simply add the media to the relevant folder I've got for movies or tv shows etc and plex does the rest. 

Im sure there will be far cheaper things to use as a server than a Mac mini but I'm happy with my set up.