Join now - be part of our community!

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ISMADDER
Visitor

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

Any Date yet For ITV PLAYER and CHANNEL 4 ON DEMAND ?

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

made thread a sticky

Tags (5)
337 REPLIES 337

If its so difficult why have Sky managed to overcome it surely the same rights issues would apply to anyboby not just Sony. This has been going on long enough.

UAE roger

miklinha
Explorer

I guess the problem is that ITV is trying to redevelope their ITVplayer as a paid platform, which might be difficult to distinguish between paid and free content on the TV.

STEVEB1244

Hi Bryfly,
Did you get any response from the Sony Mediators?
I have just bought a Sony Smart TV primarily for the convenience of watching Catch Up TV.
The principle is excellent.
I was under the illusion that Sony were better than their immediate competitors as per their advertising.
But to my embarrassment and no doubt amusement of friends and neighbours with Samsung Etc. we cannot receive the ITV Channels in Catch Up.
This information was omitted at point of purchase and I feel somewhat cheated.
I gather I am not alone in this situation.
This and other misrepresentation in Sony's advertising and market strategy cause me concern as it contravenes an open and honest trading stratagem.
There are laws and guidelines to protect consumers against sharp practices and no doubt Sony employ legal representation to comply to the letter of the law albeit not in the spirit in which these rules of customer protection are written.
I think time has come to have this notion tested.
Since my last purchase I have an ambivalence towards Sony as I appreciate their technical excellence but am appalled by their dubious antipathy to customer satisfaction.
The length of this topic without any considered explanation or apology whatsoever from Sony Direct is a notable case in point!
As this situation has been discussed for so long I feel aggrieved that I was not made aware of the shortcoming in services provided at my point of purchase.
Would any representative of Sony or a Mediator care to comment.
There are many of us who would like an honest and open explanation from Sony on this topic.
So Where Is It Mediators?
Anonymous
Not applicable

@STEVEB1244 wrote:
But to my embarrassment and no doubt amusement of friends and neighbours with Samsung Etc. we cannot receive the ITV Channels in Catch Up.
This information was omitted at point of purchase and I feel somewhat cheated.
I gather I am not alone in this situation.
This and other misrepresentation in Sony's advertising and market strategy cause me concern as it contravenes an open and honest trading stratagem.

Hi there

Not wishing to inflame your situation any further, but... I have never seen Sony advertise ITV player or 4OD on their TV's/Blu-ray players.  If you were mis-sold that, you may want to take it up with who-ever said so.  Samsung only recently got the ITV player as an exclusive too.  I bet they paid wad-fulls of cash too, for that exclusitivity.  Its also upto ITV on who they wish to allow access to the software.

Have a look at the following website : http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/06/14/samsung-smart-tvs-add-itv-player/

Cheers

cageyr
Explorer

I've been following this thread for several years (?!) now. My principal reason for buying Sony was the availability of BBC iPlayer. I also had faith in Sony to move forward and offer catchup services from the other terrestrial providers. I have greatly appreciated Catmambo's efforts to keep us abreast of developments but, understandably, commercial sensitivities meant that there was never a clear roadmap of where the Bravia internet services were heading in this respect. As replacement time approaches for my Bravia, I have to say that my longstanding Sony loyalty is going to be tested. I understand the many technical and commercial hurdles but it does seem to me that other manufacturers are winning the race.

bryfly
New

Hi STEVEB1244, No i did not get any response from Sony or Sony moderators, why they just do not admit that these extra services are not coming Sony is really beyond me, they may even get some respect for owning up to something they have been loath to give a straight answer to for 2 + years. ....... changing brand seems to be the only way out !!!!

STEVEB1244

Dear Quinnicus,
You have not inflamed our situation.

The key point I make is that of Omission. It means to "leave something out."

Many people have experienced Sony's Catch Up TV capability on Sony PS3 with all the main channels being available, it is excellent.
My point is that after paying much more for a Sony smart TV this Catch Up TV capability has been truncated.
The "omission" is in not telling the customer before purchase. In my case only finding that out within this Forum.

I know you like a motoring analogy so here is one.
You see a car being advertised driven along an "A" road, you like it and decide to buy the product.
When it is delivered you decide to drive it along a "B" road, you discover it refuses to run. Would you not be miffed? Your neighbours car runs ok!

This is what I mean by "Omission" , it is a deception much used in politics and Law Courts, not illegal or technically wrong but deception nevertheless and to my mind amoral and not a "Smart" strategy.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see your point - and i also agree that something does need to be done in regards to getting these catchup services on TV's.

I guess over the last couple of years, as Smart TV's/Devices are more common, it has now been take for granted that "Catchup TV" means the big 4.  So, I guess it is time for a disclaimer (thats readable) in regards to ITV/4OD.

Another analogy i guess is:

You purchase a nice new car - when it is delivered you wonder where the radio is.  Get told, Sorry there is no radio, and one cannot be fitted.  Technically your fault for not researching/asking about the car before buying, but it is assumed that all cars come with a radio, and should have been told so if different.

STEVEB1244

Mediators, have you read the above message?
Please respond.
STEVEB1244

Anyone there?