Join now - be part of our community!

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ISMADDER
Visitor

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

Any Date yet For ITV PLAYER and CHANNEL 4 ON DEMAND ?

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

made thread a sticky

Tags (5)
337 REPLIES 337
Anonymous
Not applicable

Samsung paid a shedload to get ITV Player exclusive until 2014.  Therefore no other manufacturer is allowed to have it installed.  I cant remember if this was the case with 4OD.  Just google it.

Unknown about these services from 2014 onwards.

However they have had their own problems with compatibility with previous generation TV's.  So even if other manufactuerers are allowed to use it, if you have a tv that is a couple of generations old, I wouldnt hold your breathe.

MattJ11
Explorer

We were doing our Christmas shopping at John Lewis (Cribbs Causeway) last weekend and decided to buy a Sony KDL32W653 Smart TV on the strength of the salesman's assurance that Samsung's monopoly on ITV Player/ 4OD was coming to an end shortly, and that a new application would be available for them on the Sony TV as from end of January. Can anyone confirm if this is correct or was it just salesman's bull****? (They appeared to be an official Sony rep so I assumed they knew what they were talking about).

profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

They don't even have iPlayer working now.

I'm seriously regretting buying Sony.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@huxley123 wrote:

They don't even have iPlayer working now.

I'm seriously regretting buying Sony.

Correction - The BBC don't even have iPlayer working on some Sony devices :slight_smile:

treveden
Explorer

Hi Matt,
Looks good if that's the official word from Jessops, john lewis as it is now called. Don't suspect a company with their reputation would make a misleading comment.
Let's just hope this is true and we receive an updated software patch to enable the itv player to run on the Bravia .
At the moment we are using the TalkTalk youview receiver
Trev
treveden
Explorer

Hi Huxley,

which Bravia model are you using ?

profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

KDL-40CX523.

iPlayer finally working again.

I don't hold out any hope of ever getting ITV Player or 4OD on it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@huxley123 - being that your TV is a 2011 model, it is very unlikely that you will get ITV Player and 4OD.  Very similar reasons why Netflix is not available.

The JL sales rep was right about 1 thing.  The Samsung monopoly is about to come to an end.  However at this moment in time, there has been no announcement and no information in regards to these catchup services on other tv's devices.  What im saying is dont always believe in what a sales person says.  Especially with time-scales!!!

profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

And expect the Sony TV you buy this year to be obsolete within 2 years.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The TV is not obsolete per-se, as it will still perform the same as when you purchased it.  The Smart TV revolution is in my oppinion, in its infancy.  Anything technological these days, seems to move at such a rapid pace. 

Some examples:

• Youtube was created 14 February 2005 - Not even 9 years old
  • BBC iPlayer was launched 25 December 2007 - Almost 6 years old
  • Lovefilm was created in 2004, with Streaming services in 2010

All common household companies/applications now, but only been in existance for a few short years.

What Im getting at is, companies like Sony can only build to what is available now.  Up to recently, ITV and Channel 4 did not want their content on Smart TV's.

Cheers.