Join now - be part of our community!

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ISMADDER
Visitor

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

Any Date yet For ITV PLAYER and CHANNEL 4 ON DEMAND ?

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

made thread a sticky

Tags (5)
337 REPLIES 337
jaybs3
Visitor

Sky, Virgin and the new YouView box all have 4OD so what is the difference? so why does specific rights problem effect them, as well as the Samsung TV?

I am still getting also a lot when I try to use BBC Catch up on my Sony Bravia that the service is not available? I have installed again and this comes up, but some days it works, it is not the speed of my internet connection as I have good speed?

WHY do SONY not seem to answer these problems these days, when I first got the BRAVIA the forum replied with hours, now we seem to have just been let loose, SONY are no longer concerned, is this TRUE?

profile.country.GB.title
thekent

I have experienced problems with iPlayer ever since I purchased my Sony.... and that is on the very limited days when I have been fortunate enough to get the iPlayer menu to dispaly.
Very frustrating given that Samsung were considered to be the "cheap" TV alternative. Biggest mistake I ever made really .... I invested in many Sony products and feel totally let down.
This ITV player farce with Sony has gone on to long :smileyangry:.

jaybs3
Visitor

I have been a loyal Sony customer for a long time, main Bravia TV a bedroom TV and a DVD Recorder currently, but with the problems with ITV3 and 4OD and add to that the number of times that BBC Catch Up does not work it looks like the end for me and many others, sadly Sony do not seem bothered.

Now I am looking at SAMSUNG and taking a loss with my Bravia TV less than 18 months old

Julescousins
Visitor

I wonder if this might actually be a matter for BBC's Watchdog program... Is it not possible that Trading Standards would find Sony's promises about ITV Player and 4OD at the time of our respective purchases of their devices "misleading"...?

profile.country.GB.title
thekent

Same here :angry:
I have 2 Sony Bravia's, 2 Sony Cameras and a Vaio laptop .... just goes to show you that brand loyalty and faith in what you buy doesn't really mean anything.
I placed a lot of faith in these products ... that they would deliver what they promise.
Im not in a position to buy a new TV and regretably have recommended them over the years (to the extent that 2 neighbours and relatives have gone out at purchased Bravia's) .... am now eating my words.
I think my faith would have been restored or I would have been patient if there was any kind of 'Official response' but fact is .... there isnt :thinking:

sony-cat

I am as annoyed as you are that these services are not working, I don't watch any live TV at all, I rely on on demand TV for all of my viewing, which is why I bought a smart TV.  I really want to take action, but I feel you are missing the point.  Watchdog will not be able to help you, because it is not Sony who has the power to fix this.  If the problem is that the content is not liscened to be distrubed in this way. ITV and 4OD need to pay for the rights to do this.  It is ITV and 4OD that need petitioning not Sony, as Sony will have their hands tied.

I do not understand why this is an issue when other TV's appear to have these features, but I got this information directly from Channel 4.  I have asked them why only Bravias and will report back if and when I get a repsonse.  I don't understand what reason Channel 4 would have to mislead any one about this.  Has anyone contacted ITV yet?

profile.country.GB.title
thekent

I think you are correct Jules ... trouble with Watchdog is I think they need enough people to complain ... that said, with all the people taking part in this discussion Im sure we could muster up enough between us ... but Trading Standards do carry a lot of weight.

lyegrove
Visitor

The thing that makes me so angry was that when I purchased my Bravia (from Sony) I was told by the store manager that the 4OD/ITV player upgrades would be coming within 6 months or so. That was 2 years back now. They were either misinformed or deliberately lied to get my business.

I will never buy Sony again

profile.country.GB.title
thekent

Maybe they should rebrand/change their slogan to: "Not so Smart TV's" then ..... can hardly label them "Smart"!

Catmambo
Contributor

Sony Cat is correct - this is largely a rights and resource issue. The commerical broadcasters are very wary of having to build specific/unique apps for all the different manufacturers. Take the BBC example, they currently support 650+ different platforms (https://twitter.com/sophiebr/status/263192728425349121) . This is only possible largely due to the way they are funded and their public service mandate. Commercial broadcasters will follow the money and audiences and so taking Channel 4 for example, they are only on a handful of platforms each of which have several million device install base or they are stakeholders in (Playstation 3, Xbox, Sky(soon) Virgin Media & Youview)

It almost goes without saying, we'd love to bring the other catch-up broadcaster to the service as soon as possible.

Lyegrove - Sorry to hear you were given incorrect information by the retailer. Have you discussed this directly with them?

Thanks