Join now - be part of our community!

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ISMADDER
Visitor

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

Any Date yet For ITV PLAYER and CHANNEL 4 ON DEMAND ?

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

made thread a sticky

Tags (5)
337 REPLIES 337
drkcwu

Blaming the broadcasters from the word go is one thing but that doesn't explain why ITVplayer is available on the Samsung Smart tvs (or is it? as I've not seen it confirmed anywhere) but not on Sony Bravia

tamosman
Visitor

Hi there

As has already been mentioned Samsung Smart TVs already have ITV Player and it has just been announced that they will be getting 4od next year!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a436745/channel-4-to-add-watch-live-offline-viewing-to-4od.htm...

So maybe not 'this is largely a rights and resource issue'?

Please Sony don't let my decision to buy a Sony TV for my kitchen recently be a bad one.

Why are Samsung getting them and not Sony? Or when will you be getting them?

Thank you

dd4005
Visitor

I'd be happy if I could get iPlayer on my Bravia (KDL-40HX705). I have Netflix and Youtube and a bunch of others, but no sign of iPlayer :slight_frown: That's with software version PKG4.114EUKL-0108

Julescousins
Visitor

I though I'd try asking ITV and Channel 4 what they thought. Here's the ITV reply:

Thank you for contacting ITV. 

Although we currently only support specific Samsung Smart TVs, we would hope to provide access to other manufacturers in the future. We cannot advise further on why the ITV Player is not currently available on Sony Smart TVs. 

ITV strive to deliver as many ways as possible for its customers to utilise the various services we offer and so please keep up to date by visiting our website.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any further questions.

mykool
Visitor

Does anyone from Sony read these posts?  If so I woul be interested to hear their respone to Julecousins' reply from ITV.  Could someone from Sony please give a definitive answer please. Even if it's to say you are negotiating price or something like that. This is clealry not a techncial issue and cannot be a legal or rights issue as we can get the programmes on the internet and a Samsung TV so why not on a SonyTV?

profile.country.GB.title
thekent

I have been wondering if anyone from Sony reads this posts ... or is it that they are unable to give an official response ... in which case Id prefer it if they just said that.
Very poor :angry:

Catmambo
Contributor

Yes, I posted just over a week ago, responding to a question. Was there another specific question you had?

Thanks

mykool
Visitor

Catmambo, as a newbie it is not always clear to me who is official Sony and who is not on these forums, Maybe that is the case with others. thekent is probably responding to my earlier post.

Having said that, there is still not a very good explanation as to why Sony is unabale to provide specific OD players when Samsung, B&O and others appear to be able to do so.

The implication from your post on 1st Nov implies that Sony is a small player in this arena (clearly not) and not worth the cost for the content providers to develop the player for you.  Or is it that Sony are too mean to invest themselves?  Who pays for the development on a proprietary OS anyway? Surely the manufacturer?

The answers do not stack up, and create more questions than they are supposed to answer.  See julescousins' post on 12th Nov.  ITV are saying "we would hope to provide access to other manufacturers in the future.  We cannot advise further why the ITV Player is not currently available on Sony Smart TVs".  So if ITV do not know why Sony do not provide it I would expect someone from Sony to have a resonable answer.  Please treat your customers like the intelligent bengs we are and give a clear and reasonable response. It's not too much to ask after 18 months of discussion.  So please, tell us what you are actually doing and use this forum to provide updates on progress so that we can lobby content providers on your behalf if necessary.  Let's work together on this.

Message was edited by: mykool

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Understandably, we are governed by strict NDA's as to what we can & can't discuss outside of direct conversations with all partners. So unfortunately there is a large amount of detail I can't go into I'm afraid - this is the reality of any commerical relationship between any two partners.

With reference to the email to ITV helpdesk, they likely just aren't that close to the strategic discussions around development, thus the support bod simply doesn't have any information that they can share. I'd imagine you'd get a similar response from many companies if you asked them to comment on their own strategic direction as this information is commercially sensitive, and thus is very carefully managed.

The only other CE manufacturer to offer ITV player on their catchup TV's is Samsung as far as I know. Obviously we currently offer it on Playstation 3 so our ambition is to spread it across our multiple devices - however its not just as straightforward as flicking a switch due to commercial & technical reasons. Discussions are moving in a good direction however, at this time, I cannot offer any more details as to when we can launch and on what devices.

Hope this clarifies things.

profile.country.GB.title
thekent

Hi
I was responding to mykool.
I am never sure who is an official Sony person on this forum ...:smileyconfused: