Join now - be part of our community!

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ISMADDER
Visitor

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

Any Date yet For ITV PLAYER and CHANNEL 4 ON DEMAND ?

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

made thread a sticky

Tags (5)
337 REPLIES 337
Catmambo
Contributor

Thanks for your kind words. Whats interesting is that even iPlayer is viewed by the BBC as massively underperforming on Smart TVs. http://recombu.com/digital/news/bbc-smart-tvs-make-up-just-2-per-cent-of-iplayer-views_M11329.html Given its available on every manufacturers devices, and over 600 different devices in total, this is an interesting observation.

With this years TV's offering technology mirroring technology - http://www.sony.net/united/connectedworld/us/watch/ allowing you to stream anything from your smartphone to your TV, it raises an interesting point that actually should TV's (as devices in general, not just Sony) focus on quality picture and sound ( which the Sony models all have, demonstrated by the plethora of awards last year) rather than the world of smart, which as you can see from the huge variances between manufacturers is a tough market to crack? As people usually have their phones with them at all times, which are getting more and more powerful, maybe this becomes more of a hub and the screen becomes simply the consumption device. Its all pretty subjective however really interested to hear peoples opinions on this

profile.country.GB.title
Ian_M_L
Explorer

Catmambo

Accepted that the TV should have good picture and sound. And that's why I bought a Bravia last year. But when I sit and watch that TV, I don't want to faddle with connections to my phone - I want simplicity of use. So the TV remote and that's do nicely. And that means I'd like to be able to watch all TV catch up services. So when will Sony offer 4OD, ITV etc? And more interesting film streaming services, such as Curzon?

Thanks

LaCurtis87
Visitor

think about getting a TV box? true internet on your TV?? ive got one and its amazing.

Message was edited by: -Finn-

Edited for commercial intent.

nogsx3
Visitor

Review of 2013 models with screenshot of the online services which looks no different on 2012 etc so no ITV, no C4 just BBC and C5.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-bravia-kdl-55w905_TV_review

This is very poor from Sony, Samssung and Youview will be very pleased though at the lack of progress by Sony.

One bonus is they play mkv files now but thats only catching up with Samsung, LG etc that have managed that for a few years.

ccmanstaffs
Visitor

Sorry if I'm looking in the wrong place, but all this info about ITV player, 4OD etc (re Bravia) is very out of date....

I have a KDL40W5800 which works great on BBC iplayer - but it would be SO great to get the others, also!

Any news, pls?

(Also, I have never done a software/firmware update, since buying it 3 yrs ago - do I need to? 

Any significant advantages?)

Many thanks for your assistance.

iagibso49

Sorry to disappoint, but Sony have no intention of incorporating 4OD or ITV Player into their Smart TVs.

smsmith3255
New

Sorry to disappoint you but for that very reason I would not buy a Sony TV again!

Mattaeus
New

Samsung currently have the exclusive rights to have ITV Player (which they paid alot of money to get). However, that agreement comes to an end at the end of July.

Sony already have an app ready and waiting for all their smart tv's to include ITV Player.

All they'll need to do is release a new update & they'll all be capable.

This all depends on ITV agreeing license terms with them and all other manufacturers as soon as the Samsung agreement ends.

sony-cat

Catmambo, I think it is very cheeky to suggest that we use a phone to watch TV rather than use the functionality that is already supposed to be in the smart TV! Smartphones are exceptionally expensive and we have already paid to be able to watch on demand TV. If I had realised it would never have wored in the first place, I could have bought a cheaper model of TV and a phone!!!

It is not really our concern whether iplayer is getting the expected viewing figures or not. That is something that should have been Sony's concern before they designed the product. In a recent interview about PS4, one of the developers Mark Cerny can be quoted as saying the PS4 primary function is as a gaming console not as a media streaming device, yet PS3 has all the channels and I bet PS4 will too. Why is it then when we have bought a device dedicated to watching TV, that we don't even get a look in , when the primary function is to watch media? Tell me, exactly which Sony product should I have bought to do this?

The TV on demand apps on the PlayStation use the browser to work. The Bravia TV's also have a browser. I don't see why this is so complicated to update the browser properly and make work.

My TV has just this minute done a software update and lo and behold, no 4OD and no ITV Player.  I'm not even sure if I haven't lost some channels 😕  hard to say, because there are only two on there worth watching for me. 

bryfly
New

It is high time that after 2.5 years  somebody manned up at Sony and told Sony customers the truth "you are not getting ITV Payer or 4OD" as an upgrade to your TV, that is the least we should expect surely???