Join now - be part of our community!

1GB memory not available to OS

aircool
Visitor

1GB memory not available to OS

Just bought a VGN-FZ38M, it says 4GB memory, vista only report 3070GB, is this normal, if so, why?

thanks

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi aircool,

The 32 bit version of Vista can only handle a maximum of 4GB of RAM and will therefore only show approximately 3.2GB..

The reason that the maximum 4GB of RAM is not shown is due to Vista allocating RAM to devices such as graphics cards etc..

However if you have matching 2GB memory modules your Vaio will benefit from the performance advantages offered by dual-channel support..

aircool
Visitor

Thanks for your quick reply, the computer is out of the box, so the modules are 2x 2gb, does this duel channel support oprate automatically, or do i need to enable it?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi aircool,

I would expect that Sony would have installed identical memory modules, therefore your Vaio should already benefit from dual-channel performance.. :slight_smile:

profile.country.fr_BE.title
benste
Contributor

Did you upgrade to SP1? than vista let you now that it recognized 4 GB :laughing: BUt i can't even use it :laughing:

aircool
Visitor

Did you upgrade to SP1? than vista let you now that it recognized 4 GB :laughing: BUt i can't even use it  :laughing:

i got sp1 and all seems fine now!!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Did you upgrade to SP1? than vista let you now that it recognized 4 GB :laughing:

Although SP1 allows vista to report that 4GB is installed, I don't think it changes the fact that only 3.2GB is available.. :wink:

jamiem1987
Visitor

i stuck 4gb (2x 2gb sticks of samsung memory) and it works fine, but it will not resume from hibernate with these in, ive tried it with and without service pack 1 and it still wont resume. it seems to go into hibernate fine and powers up., then when i turn it back on i see no resumiing windows message or anything, just a black screen after the POST with no hard drive activity, if i pull one of the sticks out like i have at the minute it works perfectly and will enter and resume from hibernate quickly, its annoying because i would like the extra memory and also like to have it back running in dual channel mode,, my laptops a vgn-fe41s

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi jamiem1987,

it states in the specifications for your FE41S that the maximum Ram supported is 2048 MB, you can view your FE41S specs by using the following link: FE41S Technical Specifications