Join now - be part of our community!

Bought AR61ZU.So Glad I did !

greekisland
Visitor

Bought AR61ZU.So Glad I did !

Currently my third Vaio,and surely the finest of beasts ! I'd been tinkering the idea of an AR series laptopo since the 21 series and I'm really happy I held out till now.This machine has every feature I could wish for : :party:

Intel® Centrino® Duo processor technology with Intel® Core™2 Duo processor T8300 (2.40 GHz and 800 MHz FSB) and Intel® PRO/Wireless 802.11a/b/g/n
Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate (English version)
500 GB Serial ATA 5400rpm hard disk drive (2 x 250 GB, RAID 0 and 1 supported)
4 GB DDR2-667 SDRAM (2 x 2048 MB), maximum 4 GB DDR2-667 SDRAM
17" WUXGA (1920 x 1200) widescreen X-black LCD with double lamp technology
NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT graphics processing unit with Total Available Graphics Memory of 1791 MB and dedicated Video Memory of 512 MB
Blu-ray Disc™ Drive (up to 50 GB of storage)
Hybrid TV Tuner & remote control
Built-in 'Motion Eye' Digital Camera (max. 30 frames per second, 1.3 Mega Pixels) with Motion Picture Function (max. resolution (pixels) SXGA/1280*1024/raw data) and built-in microphone
Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n; Bluetooth® technology
3 Hi-Speed USB 2.0 ports

If anyone can inform me : WHICH IS BETTER FOR FASTER PERFORMANCE,RAID 0,OR RAID 1 ?
IS THE RAID SYSTEM HARDWARE,OR SOFTWARE BASED ?
I'VE READ THAT HARDWARE BASED RAID IS PREFERABLE BUT HOW DO I KNOW WHAT'S WHAT ON THE VAIO ?

MANY THANKS TO ANY REPLIES,VAIO ROCKS ! :handshake:

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi greekisland.

I am happy that you are enjoying your new Vaio.

Your RAID setup will be a hardware setup using the Intel Chipset and the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Software. The old XP Pro 'Dynamic Disc' software RAID is not used much these days.

RAID 0 (the default) is much quicker than RAID 1.

RAID 0 is called 'Striped RAID' because it writes strips of data (usually 128MB) to each of the two discs in turn - it writes to both discs at once and, in theory, should be twice as fast.

RAID 1 is called 'Mirrored RAID' because it writes the same data to both discs so both hard discs have the same data on them creating a Mirror or backup. This will be done at the usual speed of writing to a disc.

Raid 0 is much faster but each disc only holds half the data - so if one disc breaks, you will lose all your data. This is less of a problem these days because hard discs are very reliable.

RAID 1 is the safe option if you have important data to protect as it creates a backup but it will halve your disc space to 250GB. Very few people use this these days as hard discs are very reliable and most people back up their data regularly to an external drive.

:wink:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Not a technical response.... but Congratulations on buying the AR - it certainly is a great machine. :slight_smile:

greekisland
Visitor

Hey Blencogo & jumpsuit,thanks for the quick replies and comments ! :smileygrin:

With each passing minute I'm growing more attached to this great beast.
Well,I definately always use external drives to back up all data,keep one at home and one at mom's home just in case ! (Never to be left without back-up !),besides,with blue-ray rec,one more back-up on disc won't hurt !

So now as I will start the set-up on the machine,I'll surely use the raid0 config.Again blencogo big cheers to you for the quick info... :party:

AntonisCy
Visitor

got the same model a few days ago

How is it treating you?

greekisland
Visitor

So far everything's perfect.I've just finished initial installation,no problems.Did the raid0 config.I've seen slow vista machines,so-so vista machines,and alright p.c.'s,but the faster drives on this model,plus the 4 gig.memory and raid make for great speed,especially with photo editing programs which is 80% of what I do on the laptop.
So,all is great,or OLA KALA as we say in Greece ! :clap:

AntonisCy
Visitor

i didnt have to configure anything. Just go through the vista startup. Why did you have to config your drive?

some problems i found is that if i use PowerDVD my DVD Drive clicks throught a movie and that the laptop cant play games games.. i tried installing fifa08 and it lags even at the lowest resolution and settings..

xdesign
Visitor

greekisland, what kind of photo software are you running?

Is made for Vista?

greekisland
Visitor

I'm using ACDSEE 10-Works perfectly on Vista-Sometimes I also use the Adobe Photoelements that come preinstalled on the AR.

xdesign
Visitor

OK both are made for Vista, so it's logical to be working fine.

I run Solid Edge, a 3D designing software which also has a hardware key to function.

I'm not too sure it's gonna work with Vista...

Anyhow thx for the info.