Join now - be part of our community!

camera capture utility lost

dim80
Visitor

camera capture utility lost

hi everyone!!

i uninstalled windows home premium in my VGN-CR S/L laptop and i installed windows vista business i needed for some reasons.

after that, my camera capture utility does not work. i installed it from recovery disks(home premium), i downloaded and install it for vaio official web site, i tried the same utility but for 21 series, but nothing.

please could you tell me how can i make my camera work again?
it is not logical not being able to install it again.

and something else:
if i uninstall utility the driver is uninstalled too?
Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi dim80,

A long shot I'm afraid. Don't blame me if I'm wrong - ask Sony first if you are concerned.

I notice that the CR2-Series and the FZ2-Series do not have all the usual Utilities in the 'Original Utilities Package' available from Vaio-Link. There are 15 Utilities listed in the CR1/FZ1 download but only 8 in the CR2/FZ2.

The CR1 and the CR2 are basically the same as are the FZ1 and the FZ2 apart from processor speed - so why do they need 7 less utilities?

Perhaps they do need all 15 and they are simply missing from the download.

I am only guessing and it will have to be your decision, but if it was me, I would try installing the Utils Installer Vaio Camera Utility (No 10) from the Original Utilities Package Download from the CR11S/L

:wink:

dim80
Visitor

i tried to install camera utility for 11CR but a message displayed when i start the utility .
"an attempt to initialize camera failed" please check if another software is using the camera"

and there is no input.

any idea?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

All I can suggest is to check all the requirements from scratch: - Check the following: -

1. Is your camera driver installed properly? Go to Control Panel -> Device Manager. Expand 'Imaging Devices'. Is your Vaio Camera showing as installed and working correctly? Is it shown as a "Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC6" or has the generic Vista driver been installed?

2. Do you have the latest version of 'VAIO Camera Utility' installed? Go to C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Camera Utility and click on 'Version.txt'. I think it should have Version 2.0.00.11140 installed on your model.

3. Do you have the latest version of 'VAIO Camera Capture Utility' installed? Go to C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Camera Capture Utility and click on 'Version.txt'. I think it should have VAIO Camera Capture Utility 2.2.03.11150 installed for your model.

4. Have you installed Microsoft Hotfix Package KB931812 ? I attach the fix to the bottom of this post.

5. What happens if you open All Programs -> VAIO Camera Capture Utility? Can you see yourself (UGHHH!) or do you still get an error?

6. Have you tried to set up your camera to work in Skype or MSN?

7. Are all these Utilities set to "Run as Administrator" ?

8. Is anything in your Startup configuration that 'grabs' the camera during bootup? Check MSCONFIG and TASK SCHEDULER.

Sorry it's a bit of a 'suck it and see' approach but there have been a lot of problems with Vista and the Camera and these are more common when an upgrade has taken place.

:slight_frown: