Join now - be part of our community!

Need advice ref sourcing a bigger hard drive for VGN-A417M

jimmex
Visitor

Need advice ref sourcing a bigger hard drive for VGN-A417M

Hi - my VGN-A417M is starting to grown with age and the amount of high end software I have installed in it and I would like to replace the existing 80 GB hard drive with something of larger capacity.

Can anyone suggest if
a) this is possible, and
b) where might I source a replacement drive from

Ideally I'd like to install a 160 GB drive

Thanks in anticipation of help

jimmex

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi jimmex,

Any SATA 2.5 inch laptop drive will fit and there is no restriction in size in the BIOS.

I'm not sure which country you are living in but something like this one will do fine: -

HITACHI TRAVELSTAR 160GB 5400RPM SATA-150

Here is a link you may find useful if you are going to replace the drive yourself: -

http://www.artidee.com/mic/

A-Series Manual is also attached at the bottom of this post.

Good Luck!

broochie
Visitor

Hi - my VGN-A417M is starting to grown with age and the amount of high end software I have installed in it and I would like to replace the existing 80 GB hard drive with something of larger capacity.

Can anyone suggest if
a) this is possible, and
b) where might I source a replacement drive from

Ideally I'd like to install a 160 GB drive

Thanks in anticipation of help

jimmex

As Blencogo suggested, yes its possible... But personally would fancy a 320GB 5400rpm..... :laughing:

jimmex
Visitor

Thanks Blencogo - really appreciate your help
I'm currently living in Mexico and high capacity laptop drives aren't so easy to source here but I will more than likely buy from the internet either from the UK or USA
Thanks also for the installation link - thats really useful!!
cheers ! :slight_smile:

@broochie
Nice sense of humour mate and just to show I'm on your path - I currently use my laptop at home most of the time as a desktop replacement for video editing and high end CAD work and its usually hooked up to an external 22" wide screen monitor (extended desktop), a 750 GB Seagate external drive, a Samsung 120 Gb portable laptop drive and a 200 GB Barracuda hard drive (from my defunct desktop) which i stuck in an external case with USB link - How's that for overkill....
The only problem is it gets difficult to pack all this lot into a battered Samsonite travelling bag when I go on the road !!!! :smileygrin: :tongue: