Join now - be part of our community!

Optical drive missing from My Computer (AR21S/XP MCE) (SOLVED)

profile.country.en_GB.title
jumbles1971
Visitor

Optical drive missing from My Computer (AR21S/XP MCE) (SOLVED)

I was just trying to watch a Blu-ray disc on my laptop but WinDVD BD (updated with the version downloaded from here just before Christmas) kept freezing up. I figured I'd uninstall it and reinstall it. After I'd uninstalled it I couldn't reinstall it because it wasn't already installed so I went to reinstall it from the recovery disc I made but now my drive has vanished from My Computer. It's there in Device Manager but it has an exclamation mark and uninstalling it and rebooting doesn't help.

Any ideas how to get it working again?

thanks
Jumbles

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Jumbles,

In Device Manager, double-click on the drive with the excalamation mark and look for the Error Code.

If the error code is 19, 31, 32, 39 or 41 let us know which it is - there is a simple fix.

The following involves changes to the registry and I recommend that you set a System Restore Point.

Then:

1.Click Start -> Run and type: REGEDIT , and hit enter.

2. Navigate to –

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

click on this and locate UpperFilters in the right-hand window, (if it exists) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.

3. Under the same Registry Key locate LowerFilters, (if it exists) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.

4. Quit Registry Editor and re-boot the computer, new registry values will be created that will hopefully cure the problem.

After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, you may possibly need to re-install your burning software if it doesn't work – but not usually.

:thinking:

jumbles1971
Visitor

It's a Code 39... is the Registry edits you posted the fix I need to do?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Yes Jumbles - just delete the Upper and Lower filters and all should be OK.

:wink:

jumbles1971
Visitor

Woohoo!!!

Thanks Blencogo... It's back :smileygrin: