Join now - be part of our community!

PLEASE HELP!!!! RECOVERY DISK

sverdlov
Visitor

PLEASE HELP!!!! RECOVERY DISK

Just got my recovery disk set from sony UK. I have a VGN-BX197XP. When I boot my notebook with CD in drive, I go to BIOS set up and Hit F9 to Setup Defults, Then F10 to save and exit. The Noteboook starts to boot from the CD drive and it loks as if the Recovery Utilities is about to start but then an ERROR bx pops up and says that I canno use this Utility and that I need to confirm the Model Number....

What Gives???

In BIOS the correct model appears and same for the Seriel Number. What I'm I missing here????

4 REPLIES 4
carloscerros
Visitor

Just got my recovery disk set from sony UK.  I have a VGN-BX197XP. When I boot my notebook with CD in drive, I go to BIOS set up and Hit F9 to Setup Defults, Then F10 to save and exit. The Noteboook starts to boot from the CD drive and it loks as if the Recovery Utilities is about to start but then an ERROR bx pops up and says that I canno use this Utility and that I need to confirm the Model Number....

What Gives???

In BIOS the correct model appears and same for the Seriel Number. What I'm I missing here????

Hi sverdlov,

Don't panic, just call back Sony VAIO support so they can send you back a new set of RDVD's (free of charge) in exchange of your 'defective' disks. It might Sony has sent RDVD's for your unit BUT for a different language/region setting... Ensure to provide the correct SN of your computer because RDVD's depend on it.

Good luck

sverdlov
Visitor

Not what I was hoping to hear. Been waiting on this disc since forever. There has got to be anotherexplenation on what is wrong.....

It starts to run the disk/ start up utility and the screeen goes BLUE, after about 20 seconds an error window pops up and says that i need to verify my model number, when I hit the OK on the window it just start to boot again and If I leave the disc inside it just starts the whole thing all over...............

What could be wrong????????

sverdlov
Visitor

Did some research and it seem that the reason casuemy dics are not being read is because of the settings on my BIOS. REad that it can be Flashed but need help with this. The link below is where I got the Idea, can someone please check it out and hive me some feedback..

www.sonyrecovery.com.uk

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi sverdlov,

I agree with carloscerros, I think you should first check with Sony Vaio Support that the recovery disc's are designed for your Vaio model..

In the link you attached I have copied the text below that may be of interest..

The recovery process is locked to the specific model machine. This was done deliberately by Sony in order to keep the powers that be happy, and to also make it harder to use the disks on other machines. Now when you start the recovery process there are 4 pieces of information that the software looks for in the machines BIOS. There is the Model Name, the 8 digit model code, the 7 digit serial number and a country specific code. If any of these pieces of information are not within the necessary range then the recovery software will not work.
In Europe the machines are divided into country regions. The UK is designated by GB, Germany is DE and so on. Each model has a specific 8 digit model code. This is not to be confused with the 7 digit chassis code on the machines. For example the VGN FS215Z(UK) model has a model code of 28198260 and a chassis number of PCG 7A1M. Notice that I put the (UK) after the model name, this is because the model code changes with the country code. The FS215Z (ES) has a model code of 28198266 but it shares the same chassis code of PCG 7A1M
The machines have a specific serial number range. The FS215Z(UK) serial range is 5200001 to 5229999. The FS215Z(ES) serial range is 5260001 to 5269999.
If these 4 bits of information are within range then the recovery software will run. If not then you get the good old Please check your model error message.