Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Laptop problem VGN-FZ21S

bubbazenetti
Visitor

Sony Laptop problem VGN-FZ21S

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone can help with this annoying problem i have had with my laptop since new.

When i boot up Vista initially the numbers do not work, only shows symbols!!!! Also the letters are stuck in upper case. No matter what shift/caps lock combination i use nothing helps! 😞

After around 15mins everything is back to normal and works ok. It is such a pain as i cant access my email etc straight away.

I am running Vista Premium with all the updates and SP3. The problem was there even before any update were installed and nothing shows up on Device Manager etc. It is getting really annoying and i am thinking of starting fresh with XP Pro if i cannot resolve.

Hope someone has come accross this before.

Thanks
Lee

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Lee,

welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly, these problems might require that you reinstall your operating system.

To back up your registry follow the guide on the web site using the following link: Vista: Backup or Restore the Registry

Press the windows key+R to open the Run box then type Regedit.

Registry Editor starts.

In Registry Editor, expand Computer, and then expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Expand Control Panel, then select Keyboard

On the right hand side right-click on InitialKeyboardIndicators select Modify and enter 0.

Exit Registry Editor

Restart your Vaio

Hopefully your keys should be ok.. :slight_smile:

bubbazenetti
Visitor

Hi there,

Thanks for your suggestion! I have tried what you said but unfortunately the problem is still there. Any other ideas i could try before i have to go for a reformat?

Many thanks,
Lee

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Lee,

What value was displayed for InitialKeyboardIndicators.?

In Registry Editor, expand Computer, and then expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Expand Control Panel, then select Keyboard

On the right hand side right-click on InitialKeyboardIndicators select Modify

bubbazenetti
Visitor

Hi again Thalamus,

The value was set at 0, i reset it again like you said but had no luck.

Thanks,
Lee

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi bubbazenetti,

this is a puzzler.. :smileythinking:

As you had this problem since your Vaio was new at the moment the only thing I can think of to try next is to do a full system recovery.. :slight_frown:

Click Start, All Programs, then Vaio Recovery Center..

Click Continue on the User Account Control window

Once the Vaio Recovery Center window opens

Select Restore C: Drive then press Start..

then follow the recovery wizard..

Make sure you back-up important data first..

Then if the problem is still present I suggest you either contact Sony Vaio support, you can do this either by phone or via e-Support, use the following link to find the contact details: Sony Vaio Support

bubbazenetti
Visitor

Hi Thalamus!

Just to let you know i reformatted Vista like you said and it has done the trick. My laptop is working perfectly and i no longer feel the urge to throw it out the window!!

It was a slow process backing up my files on my network hard drive, 22 hours it took!

Many thanks for your help,
Lee

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome.. :slight_smile: