Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VAIO VPCL2IMIE - wont start, possible virus

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
AlexxStone
Visitor

Sony VAIO VPCL2IMIE - wont start, possible virus

I have a Sony VAIO VPCL21M1E and I think it has been infected with a virus.  Windows wont start up.  Trying to use F10 to access boot options, press enter key but then system freezes.  Also tried F8 recovery option but same thing happens.  Any help greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi AlexxStone and welcome.

Why do you think it is caused by a virus?  It could also be a corrupt hard drive or a hardware problem.

Did you make a set of Recovery discs when you first got your Vaio as prompted by Vaio Care?  If your hard drive is corrupted, this is the way to clear the hard drive and reinstall your system.  Try following "To Recover from Recovery Media" here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/RecoTS/2011Q1_TRG_EN.pdf

I presume you still see the Vaio Logo splashscreen when you turn the Vaio on?  Try tapping F10 repeatedly when you see this screen.  Does the Recovery software start?  Try following the "To Recover from the Recovery Area".

If you are still within the Warranty period, I would contact Vaio Support as if the cause is a faulty hard drive or mainboard, they will repair your Vaio under the guarantee.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi AlexxStone and welcome.

Why do you think it is caused by a virus?  It could also be a corrupt hard drive or a hardware problem.

Did you make a set of Recovery discs when you first got your Vaio as prompted by Vaio Care?  If your hard drive is corrupted, this is the way to clear the hard drive and reinstall your system.  Try following "To Recover from Recovery Media" here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/RecoTS/2011Q1_TRG_EN.pdf

I presume you still see the Vaio Logo splashscreen when you turn the Vaio on?  Try tapping F10 repeatedly when you see this screen.  Does the Recovery software start?  Try following the "To Recover from the Recovery Area".

If you are still within the Warranty period, I would contact Vaio Support as if the cause is a faulty hard drive or mainboard, they will repair your Vaio under the guarantee.

:thinking: