Join now - be part of our community!

Unknown files on my 'C' Drive

profile.country.en_GB.title
gyron1
Explorer

Unknown files on my 'C' Drive

Hi Gentlemen,

I am sure I have posted this problem before but cannot retrieve answer I had (from Thalamus I think), on this new Forum page layout.

Basically, I have a number of files on my C Drive root folder/directory of the form 'Sqmdata(n)Sqm and Sqmnoopt(n)Sqm' where (n) = 00 to 07 in both cases.

What are these files and how did they get 'there'. I am sure I have dleted similar files but they seem to have 'regenerated'.

Thanks for any help - promise I will keep reply this time!

As an aside, why am I not shown as being 'on-line' in the 'who's online flag in this new layout?? Interested that's all.

Thanks for all help.

Kind regards,

Gyron

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Gyron,

These are MSN Messenger files that forward information to Microsoft on your Messenger habits! You can delete them (if you can!)

Update your MSN Messenger software to Messenger (8.1 build 178) because there was a bug in the earlier versions that put these files into the root directory. Messenger will continue to collect this data unless you check the "Don't send info to MS" box in the settings menu.

To get your Name shown as On-line, go to My Profile (top of page) -> Edit Profile and check the entry "Name Visible?"

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
gyron1
Explorer

Hi Blencogo,

Many thanks on both counts.

Kind regards,

Gyron