Join now - be part of our community!

User problems, Where have all my files gone!!!

splitty63
Visitor

User problems, Where have all my files gone!!!

Hi all
Ive been the owner of a VGN-A215M for just over 3 years now and it hasnt given me a minutes bother really, that was until this morning!.

I switched her on as usual but a small screen popped up saying that it cannot load my local profile or something and that it was either due to security rights or a corrupt local file? It set up a temporary local user, but i cant access any of my files at all, no writton documents, pictures, music, nothing at all, and i havent got a clue what to do, i shut down the laptop as usual last night and all was fine, virus scans are regular too. I really dont have a clue what to do, anyone any ideas? :thinking:

Thanks, Mark

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Don't worry, your files should be safe and recoverable.

Is the temporary User Account designated as an 'Administrator' account? If not you will have to log in through Safe Mode as THE System Administrator (Tap F8 continuously at bootup and choose Safe Mode with the up/down arrows and press enter.) The XP Home Administrator Password is blank.

Follow the steps in this link carefully - back up your 'My Documents' folder and any other important data and then try a System Restore.

http://www.lockergnome.com/it/2004/12/15/get-it-done-recover-a-damaged-windows-xp-user-profile/

The link provides more complex solutions if this does not work.

Good Luck

:wink: