Join now - be part of our community!

VGC-LA2 Desktop Display problem (Model PCG-252M)

dunalexa
New

VGC-LA2 Desktop Display problem (Model PCG-252M)

Hello, my nephew has encountered a problem with his VGC-LA2 (model no. PCG-252M). The problem relates to the display; the Sony logo is displayed when the system is switched on but appears with vertical bars (see screen shot below). The subsquent screens have a similar problem (re: the other two screen shots). Can you please let me know what the likely cause is and how to fix it.
Many thanks in advance,
Duncan.

4 REPLIES 4
dunalexa
New

Just to update you on my post regarding my nephew's all-in-one desktop computer. I have now been in touch with the Sony support centre who informed me that I could return the computer for repair. However, it would cost £55 to cover the logistics and any where between £300 and £1,000 for the actual repair depending on what they found was wrong with it.

I have since found that there appears to be a 'latent defect' with some of the NVIDIA graphical chipsets and that Sony have offered to repair those computers free of charge. However, this doesn't include my nephew's all-in-one computer because it uses the NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 chipset. I think this is unfair because this chipset appears to be affected by the same problem as the other NVIDIA chipsets which are being repaired free of charge. Furthermore, my nephew's computer system is less than three years old and hasn't been used that much, and is still in immaculate condition. I can only hope that Sony reviews the situation based on the number of people who have had problems with this particular chipset.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi MacDee and welcome,

Thank you for the update and I am sorry I have not had time to reply before.

As the problem is present in the BIOS screens the likely cause is a hardware fault. This could be in the nVidia chip or in the actual screen itself.

nVidia know the exact batches of GPUs that are at an enhanced risk of failure due to the differential heating fault. Sadly other batches and GPU types can occasionally fail.

Wait and see what Sony say when they have inspected it and perhaps you would be kind enough to update us again then. The information may be of interest to others.

:slight_frown:

profile.country.fr_FR.title
Genario51
New

Hi,

Look at this. I think that it's a solution for your drivers

http://www.windows7inthenews.com/2011/05/windows-7-nvidia-drivers-sony-vgc-la2.html

Have a good downbload

profile.country.en_GB.title
scifisi
Visitor

Hi MacDee,

I have the same model as you and exactly the same problem. I can't imagine that it's a driver problem as it's there right on POST (power on self test). It's a hardware problem for sure and seems to be prolific with this model. I really think SONY sould fix this without charge, this system is not only expensive, it's an accident waiting to happen. it's not through use or miss use, it's a design flaw and SONY should do the right thing, own up to it and repair this free or charge.

For me, my system is well out of warrantee so I'll have to replace the motherboard myself. There's a manufacturer that makes mobo's to the same or better spec and dimensions as our PCG-252M's.

There site is here:

http://www.buy-motherboard.co.uk/laptop-motherboard-sony-vgc-ls30e-vgc-la2-pcg-252m-laptop-motherboa...

The site doesn't open in Chrome (no idea why) but is fine with firefox.

They sell for £182. Just strip it down and change over the motherboard, should take an hour or two. Or maybe get an IT savvy friend to help.

All the best

Sci-Fi Si.

Message was edited by: scifisi