Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-AR31S: impossible to install Vista SP1 (SigmaTel audio driver)

jodecom
Visitor

VGN-AR31S: impossible to install Vista SP1 (SigmaTel audio driver)

Hi,

Windows Update does not find SP1 because my VAIO has a Sigmatel Audio Driver (this is at least one reason).
I have the last patch delivered by Sony (version 6.10.5379.0).

According to this post:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate...

This driver is not compatible with SP1, and Windows Update's filter does not not propose SP1.
Unfortunately, this post states that the companywho developed this driver not longer maintain it !

What Sony is about to do to fix this problem ?

Does anyone installed SP1 successfully ?

JD

5 REPLIES 5
tellyaddict07
Visitor

I have got the sigma tel audio driver and the same version as you & i have downloaded and installed the standalone vista sp1 from microsoft download centre on the website and its works fine with no problems yet!, its a big download though so you might want to wait for the windows update version when they have sorted out the sigma tel driver problems

profile.country.en_GB.title
bpshah
Visitor

Is it ok to download SP1 for Vista directly from Microsoft, or does it cause a problem with sigmatel, windows update continues to update my vista with everything but SP1

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi JD,

I have successfully installed SP1 on my AR31S..

First I downloaded and installed Microsoft Hotfix Package KB937287 from Vaio-Link, use the following link to download: KB937287 Update Program 1.0

Then I downloaded and installed the Vista SP1 update, which I downloaded from HERE

I did not receive any error messages prior too, during or after the installation of the SP1 update.. :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
bpshah
Visitor

I think KB937287 has already been installed by windows update, might be wrong anyway downloaded sp1 and installed it, no problems, and Media Center (see other thread) is now back up to speed. I have a feeling that windows update has been installing updates that work better with sp1 since it's release. However as it had never installed sp1 itself the newer updates had the effect of slowing down the machine as they probably worked with SP1, I keep seeing refernce to SP1 in the more recent updates and I think media center slowed down after sp1 was released.

So cleared up a couple of problems by installing it, so far no prblems...although it will take over an hour to install if you do decide to do it, would suggets you do as Sony can't fix the search on the forum ever since I have used it (over a year) so the chance of a new driver is zero!!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

although it will take over an hour to install if you do decide to do it

I agree it does take a while but I did not need to monitor the install as it was all automatic, including the couple of auto restarts as well.. :slight_smile: