Join now - be part of our community!

vista service pack 1 problem on vaio laptop

gorseman
Visitor

vista service pack 1 problem on vaio laptop

Hello friends. Hope someone can help. I upgraded my vista premium to service pack1 by download from MS. Now I have a message box appear everytime I boot up - "System settings protector has stopped working", and the only option is to click the "close programme" button. Nothing else seems amiss, but is it possibel to correct this?? I have Sony Vaio VGN-NR10E/S

Thanks to all who read this, and to any who reply :smileygrin:

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi gorseman,

welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

check that System Restore is enabled..

You can check this by clicking Start, then click Control Panel..

In Control Panel click System and Maintenance and then click System.

On the left click System Protection.

Click Continue on the UAC window

Check box next to your hard disk, and then click OK.

gorseman
Visitor

Hi Thalamus. Thanks for your help.

I did as you said, and the box next to the hard drive was already checked. So seems that system protection should be activated...........but the message box is still appearing.

This is probably a separate issue, but I had another message on boot up today- this time from spybot search and destroy asking whether I want to permit a change in the registry : new data skytel.exe ( Category: system startup global entry - change: value added ). I asked for more info and was told the source was Paul Collins startup list which means nothing to me. I decided to click deny change. But the box kept reappearing....?

Hope you can help. Thanks for your time,
Gorseman

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi gorseman

Hmm it may be Spybot causing the problem, try this..

Open Spybot-S&D, click Mode on the menu bar and select Advanced mode..

On the warning popup click Yes, click on Tools in the navigation bar on the left, then Resident

Untick the checkboxes for Resident Helper & Resident Teatimer.

Restart your Vaio, do you still get the System settings protector has stopped working message.?

gorseman
Visitor

Well thanks again Thalamus.

I too came to the conclusion that it was a spybot problem, because spybot was throwing up one warning after another about registry changes after the vista SP1 install.

So before I raed your reply I deleted Spybot Search and Destroy from my pc and now there are no more message boxes on boot up - and the message about system settings protector not working has also gone.

I really appreciate your help. Sometimes life with a pc can feel very lonely........... :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome gorseman.. :slight_smile:

I really appreciate your help. Sometimes life with a pc can feel very lonely...........  :slight_frown: 

Now you're part of the Club Vaio forum you shouldn't feel lonely again.. :slight_smile: