Join now - be part of our community!

WWAN Software

andrice
Visitor

WWAN Software

My TZ series came with a SIM card slot for a WWAN connection. It had a T-Mobile SIM card which I do not want to use. The T-Mobile software will not drive other SIM cards so I have uninstalled it. I managed to find the Globetrotter Connect software on the Sony website, and it sort of works, however I have the following problems:
1) There does not seem to be any way to manually select mobile networks when roaming.
2) I get disconnected everytime there is no data flow for more than a minute or so. (I can fix this by logging on to an Internet radio station to keep the data flowing..but there has to be a better way!)
Can anyone help?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_SK.title
shamruth
Visitor

Hi...
I seem to have a similar problem.
I bought the TZ21WN with inbuild WWAN. Since it came with pre-installed T-Mobile software, I had to uninstall it and install the Globetrotter Connect software.
I'm trying to connect to Orange Slovakia. It gets connected and speed is good, but after a while the connection drops. The Globetrotter Connect software keeps showing that it is connected and also that the signal is good, but the Windows Network icon shows that network is Local only. Once I get this, the only way to continue is disconnect (kill), turn off the hardware switch for wireless, turn-on switch and re-launch Globetrotter. Sometimes this also doesn't work and I have to restart the machine... what a mess...
Could you please elt me know if your problem got resolved...
Or could someone else help.

Many Thanks.
Shaili

andrice
Visitor

Yes, those are exactly the same symptoms that I have. The only way I can keep the Internet connection going is by selecting an Internet radio station which I guess keeps the flow of data going and allows me to keep the connection open for longer periods. I have not found a solution.

Totally unacceptable. :angry:

shamruth
Visitor

Oooh! thats bad. I was hoping for better quality stuff from Sony... (This is my first Sony laptop)
I've written to Sony esupport, but haven't received any response. Will let you know if I hear back from them.

The problem with keeping a radio station on all the time, it is using bandwidth and eating up the data limit set by the operators... not got at all...

Yes, those are exactly the same symptoms that I have. The only way I can keep the Internet connection going is by selecting an Internet radio station which I guess keeps the flow of data going and allows me to keep the connection open for longer periods. I have not found a solution.

Totally unacceptable. :angry:

andrice
Visitor

Does anyone have an answer to this? No support from Sony? We need a driver to run the WWAN adapter fitted to our laptops.
:angry:

shamruth
Visitor

Hi,

To get your WWAN working:

Shaili Mruthyunjayappa

andrice
Visitor

Fantastic! Thank you so much. It seems to work very well, now I just have to learn German!

Why does Sony not provide working drivers with the hardware they sell? Very poor service!