Join now - be part of our community!

MDR-ZX110NA mic not being detected in Asus Zenbook Windows 10

Zingapuro
New

MDR-ZX110NA mic not being detected in Asus Zenbook Windows 10

Hi everyone,

I'm using my MDR-ZX110NA noise-canceling headphones in an Asus Zenbook which has a single audio/mic port (just like a smartphone). However, when plugging in these headphones, the Windows 10 system doesn't detect the mic and keeps using the computer mic.
Thanks,
Marc

2 REPLIES 2
goingheuji
Explorer

maybe you need an updated audio port driver for Win 10? it could well be using a default port driver and is only reading it as a headphone port. i had to update some of my drivers on moving to Win 10, though not for that specific thing, as my pc has an asus motherboard. it is always a good idea to reinstall drivers after doing such a major update as Window will default a lot of drivers to make sure everything works to an extent from the get go.

Zingapuro
New

Hi goingheuji,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! And indeed, I agree with your suggestion - that's exactly what I would have thought, update the driver and boom badda bing.  Except ... an official driver doesn't exist!!!

I must admit, I'm extremely disappointed and could not possibly have expected to find myself in such a ridiculous situation with such a trusted name in Electronics as SONY.  Here's the official response from their support:

In regards to your query, please note that these headphones are not compatible with Windows. On the description of this unit, it states that these headphones are made for smartphones and according to that we cannot guarantee its functionality with a Windows operated system.

Can you believe this? In more than two decades, I've never seen a set of headphones&mic that wasn't compatible with a computer! I bought this from a duty free on an easyJet flight so there's no store I can return this to. I would have never bought this if I had known I'd have troubles using it with a computer. I thought it was exactly what I needed, because my Zenbook also has a single combo mic+audio out 3.5mm jack - previously I had to use a small adapter to convert two male cables into a single one for the jack.

But this -- a brand new set of headphones, completely useless for Skype. It makes me so angry.

At the same time -- I don't buy it. There must be a way to make this work, because there's no question the hardware can handle it (if it can handle it from a smartphone ... why not on a computer? They're just electrical signals being exchanged...)  so... I'll keep searching for some driver (maybe another similar SONY model?)

So far, I'm having limited luck using the hidden 'Stereo Mix' under 'Recording Devices' ... but the volume is very low and it's such a patchwork solution.

I can't stop shaking my head at how stupid this is.