Who Me Too'd this topic

profile.country.GB.title
TheLarch
Explorer

Oddities of automatic aspect ratio switching

I have a brand new Bravia KDL-32WD756, and in many ways I'm extremely happy with it, but it seems to have a few problems with automatic aspect ratio switching.

I should point out this is using the built in DVB-T2 tuner. The 4:3 default setting is set to Normal, and auto format is on. Some of the time it seems to get the correct aspect ratio, but sometimes it stretches 4x3 content to 16x9, and other times is squashes 16x9 content to 4x3.

For example Wall Street was shown on Film 4 the other evening, and displayed correctly in 16x9, but the exact same film on Film 4+1 was squeezed down to 4x3. Switching back and forth, it was consistently right on Film 4 and wrong on Film 4+1.

Several other programmes on various channels have also been wrong.

It doesn't seem to be a transmission problem because another television (Samsung) always chose the correct aspect ratio on the same programmes. It's doubly odd because the +1 channel is just the same broadcast, delayed by an hour.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? It's frustrating to have to constantly correct the set - it really ought to be able to get it right!

The television is on firmware v8113, as supplied. There is an update to v8114, but it doesn't say anything about fixing aspect ratio problems. As it's a huge download for me, I'd rather avoid updating if it's not going to fix the issue.

Who Me Too'd this topic