Join now - be part of our community!

Choppy video streaming on Xperia Z2 Tablet

SOLVED
kennethst88
Visitor

Choppy video streaming on Xperia Z2 Tablet

The Xperia Z2 Tablet have som issues when streaming video on services like Altibox TV Overalt, TV2 Sumo and CSports.

Altibox TV Overalt: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=no.altibox.tvoveralt

TV2 Sumo: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=no.tv2.sumo

CSports: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.bonnier.csports

I understand that you do not support 3rd party software, but since this is the only device I have experienced issues with on these services everything points to an issue with the Z2. I have tested with several Z2s on several networks.

No issues are seen on the Sony Xperia Tablet Z, or any other tablets or phones I have tested (Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Asus Nexus 7, Samsung Nexus 10, Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro etc...)

Could there be an issue with Smooth Streaming/h.264 on this device?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kennethst88
Visitor

The latest system update fixed the problem for me. Thanks!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
kennethst88
Visitor

PS! Yes, I have installed the latest firmware update, and yes, other streaming services like Youtube and Netflix works fine on this device. Slightly_smiling_Face

Johan
Master

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

I'm sorry to hear that some of your stream applications are not working smoothly.

But since both YouTube and Netflix seem to work without any lags I think that this needs to be optimized from the application side. So I suggest that you contact the application developer to inform them about your experience and check if any app updates are planned.

robj
Visitor

I too have choppy streaming on some apps. This appears to be on an app by app basis. Before you dump this off on everyone else, you should know that all of the streaming apps work properly on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 tablet (as well as my Ipad). This tells me that your device your device is not without blame.

kennethst88
Visitor

I agree, the Xperia Z2 probably have issues with some video/streaming formats or codecs. I have also tested with a Z2 phone now, and it has the same issues as the tablet. It's pretty ignorant to say there are no issues with the device, as long as Netflix and Youtube works.
robj
Visitor

FYI, the apps that do not stream properly include:

Directv Everywhere, TWC TV, HBO Go, SHowtime Anywhere, NBA Gametime,

Apps that work:

YouTube, Netflix, NHL GameCenter, NBC Live Extra

Raspvidy
Visitor

I'm having the same issue using the NFL and NBA game pass. 

Raspvidy
Visitor

Please don't ignore this issue. I bought my z2 tablet for streaming games. Both the NFL and NBA apps have streaming issues on the z2 tab. It works fine on my Samsung phone and on my pc. I do not think it's the app it self. Please pass this issue onto your superior or tech department.

Kind regards. 

JJ452
Visitor

The Netflix app does not work correctly - the video and audio are always out of sync.

It appears as if the audio always has some sort of latency which, at a guess, it has something to do with the new noise cancellation technology that has been introduced in the Z2 lineup (definitely an issue with the way the Z2 handles audio). 

Are there any planned firmware updates that changes the way the device handles audio?

Johan
Master

Could you please send me your details in a PM, and I will forward this.

Make a relevant topic and include the following.

Name:
Phone nr:
E-mail:
Operator:
Product:
IMEI/IDID nr:
Build number:
Streaming services:

Problem scenario with streaming services: