Join now - be part of our community!

Japanese input on tablet S

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Luke2011
Visitor

Japanese input on tablet S

Could someone please let me know if the Sony Tablet S will have a pre-installed Japanese keyboard/s for kana and Kanji that can be activated? The Android honeycomb on the Samsung does not have this feature, and as I work in Japan and regularly use the Japanese keyboard on my Apple devices, I really need it. Then again, Samsung has Korean so I would expect Sony to have Japanese, but I don't know much about Android. The Sony tablet looks great but without Japanese input I can't imagine buying it. Or I'll buy it in Japan!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

From the version at IFA, it was only European characters which is not actually a Sony thing, most Andriod based devices follow suit of Google regulations in order to stop grey imports.

Basically the keyboard/dictionary etc is aimed at the target country so additional keyboards are unavailable such as oriental characters on a European version or American spelling on a UK targeted device.

Come launch, I can assume that it will also follow this same pattern but kind of odd that it has Korean but not Japanese. I think the best thing is wait for official launch since there are some final tweaks as I spoke to a few people today at IFA.    

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

From the version at IFA, it was only European characters which is not actually a Sony thing, most Andriod based devices follow suit of Google regulations in order to stop grey imports.

Basically the keyboard/dictionary etc is aimed at the target country so additional keyboards are unavailable such as oriental characters on a European version or American spelling on a UK targeted device.

Come launch, I can assume that it will also follow this same pattern but kind of odd that it has Korean but not Japanese. I think the best thing is wait for official launch since there are some final tweaks as I spoke to a few people today at IFA.    

Luke2011
Visitor

You, sir, are a legend. Many thanks for the info. I hope they put it on, because the Japanese version will undoubtedly have English so how difficult can it be to just leave it on? As I say, the Samsung definitely had a Korean language option when I checked it out, but oddly I didn't see a Korean keyboard selection.

If Apple do it, surely Sony can!

mediacat
Visitor

There are plenty of 3rd party Japanese keyboards for Android, so if the facility to turn on the keyboard isnt available out the box it'll be easy to add one to it (in theory)

profile.country.de_DE.title
heggemann.rene
Visitor

Hi guys,

i bought my tablet in Japan and it supports all languages.

German, English, Japanese, Chinese etc....