Join now - be part of our community!

OTG and USB keyboard/mouse Xperia Tablet Z

SOLVED
LittleGreyCat
Visitor

OTG and USB keyboard/mouse Xperia Tablet Z

I am trying to connect a USB keyboard and mouse to my Xperia Tablet Z WiFi using an OTG cable.

Progress so far:

keyboard and mouse + OTG cable work with Samsung Galaxy S3 phone.

keyboard and mouse + OTG cable do not work with  Xperia Tablet Z.

old FAT USB stick + OTG cable works with Samsung Galaxy S3 phone.

old FAT USB stick + OTG cable works with  Xperia Tablet Z.

So conclusion so far:

tablet does support OTG for USB stick.

tablet does not support OTG for mouse or keyboard.

Is this correct, or is there something I can do to get the tablet to recognise a USB mouse and/or keyboard?

Cheers

LGC

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LittleGreyCat
Visitor

O.K.

Thanks.

I'll work round my stock of keyboards and mice and see if I can find one that works.

Edit:

Logitech Cordless Desktop Ex110 works - wireless keyboard and mouse combo with a receiver which plugs into USB or serial. (so quite old, I assume).

Logiteck M570 track ball mouse with Unifying Receiver also works.

On that basis I am assuming that any Logitech keyboard compatible with the Unifying Receiver should also work.

So my issue is resolved - wireless keyboards and mice do work via a USB dongle.

Not all wired devices work.

I haven't sorted out why yet but the main problem has now gone away.

Additional note - the USB optical mouse didn't seem to want to work with my Raspberry Pi either.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Thommo
Genius

Your mouse and keyboard - Are you connecting both at the same timeor just one, Also as can often be the case some usb devices are incompatible

LittleGreyCat
Visitor

Tried both together, just the keyboard, just the mouse.

Keyboard is Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro

Mouse is no-name Chinese optical mouse but it works with everything else including the Samsung Galaxy S3 phone.

Have you ever successfully used a USB keyboard or mouse with the Xperia Tablet Z?

Thommo
Genius

I've used a Sumvision USB mouse and a Dell USB mouse but never tried a keyboard - To be honest I've never had a need to test this or try and use one

LittleGreyCat
Visitor

O.K.

Thanks.

I'll work round my stock of keyboards and mice and see if I can find one that works.

Edit:

Logitech Cordless Desktop Ex110 works - wireless keyboard and mouse combo with a receiver which plugs into USB or serial. (so quite old, I assume).

Logiteck M570 track ball mouse with Unifying Receiver also works.

On that basis I am assuming that any Logitech keyboard compatible with the Unifying Receiver should also work.

So my issue is resolved - wireless keyboards and mice do work via a USB dongle.

Not all wired devices work.

I haven't sorted out why yet but the main problem has now gone away.

Additional note - the USB optical mouse didn't seem to want to work with my Raspberry Pi either.