Join now - be part of our community!

Problem updating new firmware available for Z2 Tablet Wifi

SOLVED
NeVaR
Visitor

Problem updating new firmware available for Z2 Tablet Wifi

So finally my Xperia Z2 Tablet Wifi, notify me there is update for 17.1.1.A.0.402. But the catch is need to be connect to the computer to do the updates. I re-download PC Companion many times (http://www.sonymobile.com/ca-en/tools/pc-companion/) as mention every thread. And yet it still saying PC Companion must be updated. and it does not provide way to update it.

My PC companion is version 2.1 as far I can tell. Is the website still running on software???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DeGraaff
Contributor

Did you try Sony Update Service instead? I'm not sure if it supports tablets as well, but you could give it a try: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/update-service/

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
DeGraaff
Contributor

Why do you think you need to use pc companion to update? I did not need to use pc companion.

NeVaR
Visitor

@DeGraaff wrote:

Why do you think you need to use pc companion to update? I did not need to use pc companion.

That's what it said me to do when I try tab on the Update Center. There's the screenshot.

Screenshot_2014-07-11-07-29-44.jpg

DeGraaff
Contributor

That's strange. I did that update without the computer. Hmm...

DeGraaff
Contributor

Did you try Sony Update Service instead? I'm not sure if it supports tablets as well, but you could give it a try: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/update-service/

MarkCWarner
Visitor

I was fighting this issue with the addition of the Tablet not being recognised and looping between PC Companion telling me that it did not see the tablet, and then that it needed to update PC Companion... despite me updating it twice now. I called Sony Support who sent me directions to getting it updated. Unfortunately, it wiped my tablet to default. Lost everything in it, but it was not a surprise and it tells you that at every juncture. I pasted the directions in this message. Good luck! ----------------------- --------- We have an extended guide that should help you fix the issue on your phone, please follow the instructions carefully: Visit this link: http://www.sonymobile.com/us/tools/pc-companion/ Click on Download PC Companion Run the software and install it Turn the phone off and disconnect it from the computer 1. No matter what the program says do not connect the phone until you complete step 9 2. In the welcome screen you will see the different modules available for you including the "Support Zone" option. Click on "Start" below it. 3. On the next page Click on "Start" under "Phone Software Update" At this point if you get an error stating that "Unable to install update components" or "Server is busy" , then please proceed to step 12 4. The program will say that there is no phone connected. Click on the option below that reads: "Repair my phone" the program will issue you a warning about the content that you will lose during the update 5. Choose the option to continue. 6. The program will issue a final message warning you of possible data lost during the update. Click on the checkmark and then on "Next". 7. After that, the program will download the necessary information (5 to 6 minutes) and it will present you with a list of phones. 8. Choose your phones model from the list then click on "Next" then you will see a new section telling you how to connect the phone. (don't connect it yet) At this point the phone must be off and disconnected from the PC. 9. Connect the cable to the PC not to the phone, then while pressing and holding the indicated button (in the steps on screen an specific button will be shown for you to press on the phone) connect the cable to the phone and keep holding the indicated button until the program says "the update of your phone has started..." (in some cases a message of "Installing drivers" will appear before the message of "the update of your phone has started..." is shown.) 10. If you failed to follow the steps correctly the phone will turn on and it will request that you "Proceed with the following steps, slide down the notification bar", If this happens disconnect the phone from the cable, turn it off and repeat from step 9). 11. If the phone is connected properly, PC Companion will proceed with the update ( It will tell you to let go of the back key) then wait for the update to finish and follow instructions on screen to disconnect the unit. Dear Customer, 12. If "Unable to install update components" 1. Close PC Companion 2. Install Java from: http://www.java.com 3. Start PC Companion again and try to do the software unlock process once more. Note: If you wish only to update the unit wait for the program to open and then select the quick link on the upper left corner that says "Update Phone/Tablet" and follow the instructions to perform the update. (the PC may request for the phone to be placed in Mass Storage mode. Do this by going into Settings>Xperia>Connectivity>USB connection mode) As part of Sony Mobile's commitment to excellent customer service, we offer a wide variety of mobile products to suit your lifestyle. If you require more information, or have any other questions, please visit www.sonymobile.com or call us at 1-866-766-9374
NeVaR
Visitor

MarkCWarner, did you manage  to update the new firmware then? Having your tablet wipe everytime you update the firmwire is plain stupid in term user experience.

NeVaR
Visitor

@DeGraaff wrote:

Sony Update Service worked. I have latest first now. Not sure why they keep on insisting using the PC Companion in the first place and not mention about the Sony Update Service.

brugan
Visitor

Update Service is no longer supported as of late July, 2014.

Apparently PC Companion is the only resource, and like others here, I'm stuck in the "PC Companion must be updated" loop despite running the latest version. I tried running it on Win 7 32 and 64 OS, but no joy. 

Tech support could offer no solutions aside from thinking it may be a Kit Kat issue.

Ain't automation fun?