Join now - be part of our community!

Problems uninstalling IBM Traveler

SOLVED
Elem
Visitor

Problems uninstalling IBM Traveler

Situation is as follows:

on my Xperia Tablet Z running Kitkat V 4.4.4 I need to un-install IBM Traveler. The standard way to do so is through the traveler app itself using tools >> uninstall application. Doing so I am prompted to de-activate the app's device manager entry which I confirm. Next I'm prompted to confirm once more that I want to uninstall.

This far everything is as expected and known from my other Android devices. What's happening on my Xperia tablet, though  is that I'm told that the app cannot be uninstalled because it is still registered as device manager, and that's it then.

Double checking device manager settings shows me that traveler's entry is already set to inactive. And now I'm trapped, because unless traveler's device manager entry isn't active the uninstall option inside the app is not available.

I also tried to deactiveate device manager then unsinstall using Android's app manager; but here the uninstall button is "grey" i.e. not available

Then I tried uninstalling the app through play store; here I'm told that that uninstallation is not possible as long as the app' sdevice manager entry is active (which it isn't!)

I'm afraid that I'm caught in the middle between two companies: IBM will be pointing to Sony because uninstalling the app in the way described above is working for maybe all devices except my tablet (I've done it before on various devices).

Before I go into the pain of resetting the tablet to its basic factory settings I hope that someone here can give me hint of where I could break this loop.

Regards,

Lothar

Tags (3)
14 REPLIES 14
Rickard
Master

I haven't seen anything like this before so i'm not sure what causes it but something may perhaps have happened with the permissions and in that case i have no other suggestion than to perform a repair of the software which will delete all your data.

But also try blocking it and see if that works: adb shell pm block [package name] and then try to remove it by pm uninstall.

If that doesn't work i recommend that you make a backup of any data you want to save and that you then perform a software repair using a computer and PC Companion/Bridge for Mac: http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/xperiatabletz/software/

Elem
Visitor

Again today I don't have the device with me so I'll try all this tomorrow. Some additional questions though, before I do:

- I assume that I should try the "block-then-uninstall" sequence first, before resetting / repairing the tablet? Would I have to reboot between block and uninstall, or should it be working in a tight sequence?

- when you're saying you've never seen anything like this: have you ever come across the traveler app before? Could it be somewhat inherent in the way IBM designed it that causes this behaviour just on Xperia devices? I'm asking because we are an IBM software consulting shop, and many of my colleagues are running the app on their Adnroid devices (mostly Samsung and HTC), while I'm the only one with a Sony AND the only one here with that issue

Best regards

Lothar

Rickard
Master

Ah yes, you should reboot (adb reboot) between block and uninstall. Sorry for missing that.

But as you are unable to uninstall it over adb i doubt it will help but it's worth a shot.

Yes, i've talked to some users before and helped to them uninstall this app (either from the app itself or from Settings -> Apps) but it was some time ago.

Elem
Visitor

It is as you expected: it doesn't allow blocking the package. So right now I'm repairing the OS.

Funny detail: yesterday an update to the traveler app was distributed (V 9.0.1.3); I kind of hoped that after the update I woud be able to us the app-internal uninstaller. But it didn't change anything here.

I'll drop a note once the tablet is back to order.

Elem
Visitor

Finally...

did how you recommended (repair software then recover saved settings etc.). And now I can easily install and uninstall traveler as it should be.

Many thanks once more for your patience.

Wish you pleasant holidays and a happy new year