Join now - be part of our community!

Ripping DVDs to Z2 tablet

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
atcde1

Ripping DVDs to Z2 tablet

Any advice on the best way to rip dvds onto a Z2 tablet? I've read there may be limitations on file size on the SD card, due to the way that it's formatted for Sony, and I've also had problems downloading video formatting software into my Windows Vista laptop. If anyone has successfully done this and could give me some tips, it would be very helpful. I just need a few dvds copied onto the tablet to watch while I'm travelling, so I don't want to invest too much money - although I'm happy to pay for something that makes the job easier.

Thanks.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
atcde1

Thank you. 

I had problems downloading Handbrake, which certainly looked like a good solution. Unfortunately I got a corrupted file each time I downloaded it to my laptop, and the same with a similar tool, so there may be a problem with my setup. I did manage (perfectly easily and quickly) to download a trial version of Brorsoft's DVD Ripper, and that worked perfectly. It has a variety of target devices which includes "Sony Xperia Tablet Series" , so it was simple to load the DVD into my laptop drive, rip and convert it to a file on my computer, then copy the file across to the Z2's SD card. On my tablet I used Sony's Video Unlimited app (aka Movies) to play the file. The trial version of the Brorsoft tool leaves a watermark on the video, so as soon as I saw that it had worked I paid for the real version, which gives a very clear picture and sound. It took about four and a half hours to process a disc that has 4 x 1 hour TV episodes on it, but my laptop is old and slow so I'm sure it'd be quicker on something more powerful.  

I'm now trying to work out how to get better functionality from Sony's Movies app. It's easy to locate and start a video but the interface isn't very intuitive, and while I can pause it I can't stop it. Which is weird. Anyway, that should be simple to work out. 

It was great to get such a quick response, and thanks again.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Best software to use is a program called "MakeMKV" - Its easy, fast and does the job.

Im not too sure about the file size limitations as I have no real world experience on the xperias, however I did find this site : http://1080p-video-tool.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/convert-videos-to-sony-xperia-z2.html

So all you need to do I guess is to rip the DVD, then compress it down to less than 4GB using whatever program that works well for you.  I also use a program called Handbrake - which would probably do the job for you too.

Both programs are free.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
atcde1

Thank you. 

I had problems downloading Handbrake, which certainly looked like a good solution. Unfortunately I got a corrupted file each time I downloaded it to my laptop, and the same with a similar tool, so there may be a problem with my setup. I did manage (perfectly easily and quickly) to download a trial version of Brorsoft's DVD Ripper, and that worked perfectly. It has a variety of target devices which includes "Sony Xperia Tablet Series" , so it was simple to load the DVD into my laptop drive, rip and convert it to a file on my computer, then copy the file across to the Z2's SD card. On my tablet I used Sony's Video Unlimited app (aka Movies) to play the file. The trial version of the Brorsoft tool leaves a watermark on the video, so as soon as I saw that it had worked I paid for the real version, which gives a very clear picture and sound. It took about four and a half hours to process a disc that has 4 x 1 hour TV episodes on it, but my laptop is old and slow so I'm sure it'd be quicker on something more powerful.  

I'm now trying to work out how to get better functionality from Sony's Movies app. It's easy to locate and start a video but the interface isn't very intuitive, and while I can pause it I can't stop it. Which is weird. Anyway, that should be simple to work out. 

It was great to get such a quick response, and thanks again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brilliant !

And your welcome by the way.  At least you are know on the right track :slight_smile:

Cheers