Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Xperia Tablet loses GPS capability on 4.4.2

SOLVED
BoeingBoy
Visitor

Sony Xperia Tablet loses GPS capability on 4.4.2

Since I updated to 4.4.2 I have lost any software to control the GPS capability and using the options in location services makes no difference. The tablet does not now receive any GPS inputs. As this is a Wifi only model and I used the GPS link to show present position on maps when out in the car this has seriously affected the useability of my product.

Contacting Sony chat only produced the usual response of trying a repair, which I did, at great inconvenience, as I have now wasted the best part of a day reinstalling various apps and data only to find the situation is exactly the same.

According to the Sony rep the issue is unreported. Granted there has not been much mention of it on here but I did find one other poster with the same symptoms.

Model is an SGP311

Android 4.4.2.

Build No 10.5.A.0.230

If anyone has a pointer to an earlier .ftf file I can use the flashing tool as I am also the proud owner of a Sony Xperia SP phone (and you don't even want to know what's been happening to that since the start of the year!)

BB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BoeingBoy
Visitor

Finally found a solution to the problem.

It would appear that the 4.4 update knocked the compass out of calibration and without that the GPS positioning won't work.

I installed a free app called 'GPS Essentials' and followed the instructions to recalibrate the compass and then left the tablet outside for five minutes to scan the sky. Putting the app page on GPS then showed I was receiving 12 satelites and my mapping now works.

Hope that helps others with the same problem but no thanks to Sony who only gave me a complete brush off and wasted a day of my life doing a software repair.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Reeferman
Visitor

I am having the same problem. I use the gps with OS mapping to show the green lanes when out on the bike, which is why I got the phone, it is waterproof and had gps. Please help.
RetiredDave
Visitor

I have exactly the same problem and Sony support tell me the only way forward is to do software repair and hope for the best. I have no faith that this work and obviously the job will have to planned carefully so that no important stuff goes missing!!

BoeingBoy
Visitor

Save yourself the hassle of a software repair. They told me to do that and all it achieved was a waste of a day whilst I replaced all the apps and data stored on the tablet.

The simple fact is that GPS is not working in 4.4.2 and they won't admit it. As an Xperia SP phone owner whose phone was wrecked by last Sony update it's obvious that they are having major software design issues and need to address this urgently in order to stay in the market.

I bought my Sony products as I thought they were the best on the market. I certainly won't be so gullible again!

BoeingBoy
Visitor

Finally found a solution to the problem.

It would appear that the 4.4 update knocked the compass out of calibration and without that the GPS positioning won't work.

I installed a free app called 'GPS Essentials' and followed the instructions to recalibrate the compass and then left the tablet outside for five minutes to scan the sky. Putting the app page on GPS then showed I was receiving 12 satelites and my mapping now works.

Hope that helps others with the same problem but no thanks to Sony who only gave me a complete brush off and wasted a day of my life doing a software repair.

MikeViller
Visitor

just gave a tries but as soon as you reboot you loose the GPS capability to lock .... This doesn't resolved the problem.... I use GPS status - the compass point to the north but the tab doesn't lock on satellite.......

On my Galaxy S2 GPS is locking within minutes were ever I am..........

Goodmonk33
Visitor

At the same problem lost my GPS when through all the settings still couldn't find it read your email did what you suggested worked fine thank you very much should get a job at Sony!

BoeingBoy
Visitor

Mike,

I see you're running 4.3 on your Xperia tablet. My problem came when I upgraded to 4.4. Perhaps you have other issues or are simply losing the GPS position from start up.

My tablets been fine on GPS and location since calibrating the compass.

MikeViller
Visitor

Hi BoeingBoy

I am running 4.4.2 did not change my signature.. I saw that the location icon replace the GPS one.

It appear that with the wifi turn on and Google map the location seems ok. I can get a route to a destination.. my mistake..

But my CoPilote Live cannot lock  to satellite since I started writing this it been Determining Current position ... ??????

will try another navigator but I need this to work without wifi.... like a thru GPS .....

thanks and I agree that calibrating the compass work.......

Bailey
Visitor

HI, I followed the method of downloading the apps, then recalibrate and got back the GPS capabilities but only for few minutes, then the GPS functions turned dead again.  Quite frustrated with this issue.  Sony Care just called me to restore back to factory setting.  If cannot, send to their service center.  My GOD!!!!