Join now - be part of our community!

Tablet turns off after introductory jingle, even with almost full charge. Will not charge.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
cbugeja
New

Tablet turns off after introductory jingle, even with almost full charge. Will not charge.

I am trying to switch on my Xperia Z2 tablet, it starts with the jingle, and the animation of the purple and pink waves, then the screen dims, and it turns off again. (this happens even when it is connected to the charger, and the charger is switched on)

I tried charging it again... sometimes the LED turns on orange for 3 sec after I connect the cable, then it goes out again. The tablet does show the black screen with the SONY logo for a few moments after I connect the charger, then it shows a battery which is almost full, then it turns off again. I left it connected to the charger overnight but no change... left it again for another 12 hours... still no difference.

I tried holding down the power and volume up buttons until I get the 3 brief vibrations, but it exhibited the same behaviour...

I need a solution pretty quick if at all possible as I need it for work and study.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hampus
Champion

Do you have any SIM-card/SD-card in your Z2 Tablet? If yes, try to power it on without these cards.

But if there are no improvement and you have tried a software repair, I suggest that you visit nearest service center to have your device examined by a technician. You can contact your local support team for further information about how to proceed with this in the best possible way:
http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/contact-info/

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Hampus
Champion

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

I suggest that you perform a software repair on your Z2 Tablet via PC Companion:
http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/pc-companion/

In PC Companion you press start on Support Zone > Start on Update the phone/tablet software > Repair phone/tablet (the blue clickable link in the message) > Follow these steps without having your device connected to the PC.

Follow the instruction that appears in the program and do not connect your device until this guide tells you how to connect it.

cbugeja
New

done that... no difference.

I expected to see the LED light up during the update or something of the sort... but nothing changed. PC Companion on my PC said that the update was complete, I unplugged the tablet, switchec it on... and same thing happenned... it turned off after the introductory jingle and animation.

Hampus
Champion

Do you have any SIM-card/SD-card in your Z2 Tablet? If yes, try to power it on without these cards.

But if there are no improvement and you have tried a software repair, I suggest that you visit nearest service center to have your device examined by a technician. You can contact your local support team for further information about how to proceed with this in the best possible way:
http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/contact-info/

cbugeja
New

Thanks a lot.

I tried the software repair again and it seemed not to work, then when I got back home 2 days ago (about 12hrs from last software repair), the tablet mysteriously switched on well, Android loaded fully, and it started to download all the apps I had. It also started to recognise a 32GB SD card which it had stopped recognising a few weeks before the trouble began.

BUT

after I sorted out all the settings, and saw that all my apps where in place and working correctly, and after one and a half days of working flawlessly, This morning, the tablet did the same as before... with a small twist... it is now showing me the log in screen for less than 2 sec. On teh login screen, it also shows a box saying "Shutting down" and shows some bars moving, then turns off. The first time I switched it on this morning, it showed a battery capacity of 85%, and after a lot of tries, it showed a capacity of 83%. When I connect the charger, the LED turns on orange for a few sec, then turns off again. 

I tried puching teh power button and the volume up for a few sec... it works only when it is connected to teh charger.

The power button in its own, works even when the tablet is disconnected from the charger.

I keep the tablet on charge for the entire night. Before connecting it to the charger, last night the battery capacity was around 50%.

Yesterday afternoon, I had to set up a restricted profile, and after being ready from it, I switched profile, logged into my user profile, and deleted it again (without first closing all the apps in the restricted profile). The tablet still worked well till some time last night. I do not know whether this could help or not.

Would be very glad to know that there is a solution which does not involve taking it to the service centre or to repair the software again Slightly_smiling_Face both are a hassle.

Thanks again for your kind help!!!

SergioPL1
Contributor

If your device sometimes work and sometimes not and present so unexpected behaviors I would use smartphone or any other video recording device to record symptoms and give it back to the service center as soon as possible. Even if for some reason it will start working fine itself it will fail in the most unexpected moment.

Something is broken, probably flash memory or some interconnections on motherboard and some day it has to fail.

I suggest recording video because if you send it to the service centre and it will mysteriously start working you may be charged for unneded service (at least Sony service in Poland has such statement in it's regulations). If you record the problem it is up to them to find out what is wrong.

Also take a pictures of white water-check labels under flaps to have a documentation that device wasn't immersed in water with flaps open.