Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia Z2 Styus query

SOLVED
kickstand
Visitor

Xperia Z2 Styus query

Hi folks, I have a silly question really, as I am new to Sony, only picked up my new Xperia on Friday and still getting to grips with it. None of my previous stylus appear to work at "all" which seems strange as they are fine on my IPAD 2 and Samsung Note 2 and Note 3? I use a lot of productivity Apps requiring a stylus and my finger will not suffice as I really need precision. I checked out a lot of reviews prior to selecting Sony and none of them mentioned stylus compatibility issues. Appreciate if someone could advise what stylus works with this tablet. Cheers
17 REPLIES 17
SergioPL1
Contributor

Z2 tablet should work with finger-like stylus but due to lower screen sensitivity they are very unreliable on Z2 tablet. Latest 4.4.4 update fixed sensitivity issues using fingers so it should make stylus better but I don't have one at hand to check it out now.

It is incompatible with active styluses like one for Z Ultra, Wacom, Synaptics and others.
kickstand
Visitor

Thanks for the assistance, I am deeply disappointed but such is life. I must be the minority who use productivity Apps. If they have only just resolved finger sensitivity issues I won't hold my breath. Thanks again /K
SergioPL1
Contributor

Hi. Just to be clear. I just checked my old stylus I bought with first iPad. It seems to be doing fine on 23.0.1.A.0.167 firmware. 

I tried on sketch and now typing this post using it. No big difference from phone. Much, much better than on previous firmwares, where it was unusable. 

Here is my stylus for reference: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/pc-peripheral/3246740/griffin-stylus-review/

wooly1
Visitor

I am also trying to use a stylus with my Z2 Tablet and confirm that it does not work very well at all.

I have 3 stylii identical to the one one linked in the previous post and all work well on Ipads and Motorola Xoom, but the Sony will not respond at all.

As one who has trouble hitting small target links on pages I guess I will have to live with it as well.

I thought it may have been resolved with the 4.4.4 update, but not so it appears, hope that Lollipop brings a bit of cheer.

SergioPL1
Contributor

Many low quality styluses, especially with open hole in center (for ballpen) doesn't work at all. But 4.4.4 in general highly increased stylus response. Not perfect but usable.
pdes1
Visitor

Boxwave bamboo has stopped working but Dagi and JotPro seem better.  Rubber-tipped styli seem about the same.

skywing
Visitor

Hi kick, I use a normal capacitive pen with handrite app and it works fine. It is very comfortable because you can move the writing space everywhere you want. I used it on the bottom because Xperia can't recognise the pressure of your hand on the screen like galaxy note. You can trim the timeout to insert your script in elettronic note. Only one, you have to write with a bit" big characters", but in general the feeds screen works fine (a little less if you use a screen protector...) I am disappointed that is no possible to use pencil on the Xperia tablet z2 like Xperia z ultra! I hope to help you anyway... 👋