Join now - be part of our community!

New A6700 mechanical 'fan' noise

profile.country.GB.title
ianwhite16

New A6700 mechanical 'fan' noise

The body of the camera is making a a noise like a fan or motor. It is audible shooting stills in a quiet room and also on video playback.

Lenses make no difference and neither does turning IBIS off. I've reset the camera and it made no difference 😞

Can anybody else hear this? It is very noticable if you put your ear to the base of the camera.

I'm very disappointed as everything else about the camera is excellent. 

30 REPLIES 30
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @ianwhite16 

Unfortunately I don't have any hands on experience with the A6700.

(I want to though - it looks like one heck of a camera :wink: )

I would be very surprised if it was deliberately designed to make a constant 'noise'.

The A6400 and A6500 that I've tried don't. 

Sony Support aren't open until Monday so until then hopefully another member who has one may be able to comment on this post to give you a comparison. 

I've contacted someone from Sony on your behalf, but unfortunately as its the weekend they may be busy.

As soon as I hear anything I'll let you know.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again @ianwhite16 

I've just had a response from my contact who confirmed that its not normal.

I assume you purchased it from Sony, so I would get in touch with them on

Monday morning.

Here  are the details.

Let us know how you get on.

profile.country.GB.title
ianwhite16

Thanks for your help Jumpsuit, I'll contact Sony for a replacement.  The camera is also making more of a noise (clunk!) on power on, which I didn;t noticed before. I wonder if this is all a problem with the IBIS?

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again @ianwhite16 

You're welcome :slight_smile: 

I'm not sure of the causes but the issues you're having definitely aren't right.

Let us know how you get on with Support. 👍

profile.country.GB.title
IT_Troll
Explorer

I just received my camera today (direct from Sony) and have the same issue. A slight clunk when powering on (perhaps normal?) then what I would describe as electronic white noise (perhaps coil whine). Fairly quiet, but constant and I noticed it immediately. Becomes very evident if I press my ear to the base.

profile.country.GB.title
IT_Troll
Explorer

I've now found a couple of similar reports for cameras in the A7 range with suggestions that it is coil whine from the IBIS. Disabling IBIS doesn't help because it is still powered up when locked.

Are you getting a replacement @ianwhite16? I think I will send mine back.

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Do you have a different sony camera (with ibis, of corse) to compare “noise” of coils?

“clunk” when ibis is powered is perfectly normal obviously.

Also an electronic noise level if you put your hear on the camera body is normal in all devices. The most depends on the level, that is hard to understand in a forum. So is important that you compare the noise level with other sony’s cameras to understand 

profile.country.GB.title
IT_Troll
Explorer

My old camera, the a6400 (without IBIS) is completely silent. I have only found a handful of reports about this noise across various Sony cameras. With so few I suspect it is not normal.

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

You have to compare sound level with other ibis camera. It’s the source of (normal) noise.