Join now - be part of our community!

SLT a65 won't switch off properly

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Steve_Dunstable
Visitor

SLT a65 won't switch off properly

I've been using my SLT a65 with v.1.05 firmware for some time now. The other day when I switched it off the displays went blank but the lens focus didn't change (it should go to infinity). When I moved the switch back to the 'On' position, nothing happened. Removing the battery caused the lens to focus to infinity, and on replacing the battery I was able to switch the camera on. However, the failure to turn off fully remains, and I have to remove the battery every time. The fault occurs with every lens and memory card I own. Removing the battery for a couple of hours had no effect; the fault remains.

Just received a reply from Sony Support (within 4 hours) sugesting I reset the camera to factory default. I did this, and it didn't reboot like it should have done; I had to remove the battery to get the camera working again. The fault persists...

Following more factory resets and removal of battery to get camera to reboot, the fault appears to have gone. Camera is now functioning correctly again.

Message was edited by: Steve_Dunstable

Message was edited by: Steve_Dunstable

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Steve_Dunstable
Visitor

Simon,

Thanks for your reply. I am very pleased to say that today, after going through the factory reset procedure a couple more times, and having to remove the battery to get the camera to reboot, it appears to be working correctly again.

BTW, I can't see me ever telephoning customer support until they use a geographic or freephone number. It's very poor customer service when you have to pay for it; shame on Sony.

Regards,

Steve

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Steve :slight_smile:

If the reboot to factory settings hasn't worked, this may be an indication that there is some kind of internal fault within the camera. Am I correct in assuming that you have already contacted Sony Support online or through email as opposed to getting in touch with Customer Services by telephone?

If following the advice given so far hasn't worked (I would normally suggest the factory reset and updating the firmware - which of course you have already done), I would advise you to contact Customer Services by telephone and inform them that the suggested steps so far have not rectified the problem. From this point, you will be able to discuss a possible repair (the process for this will depend upon how long you have had the camera i.e. warranty).

The contact details for Customer Services are in the following forum thread:

http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/651957#651957

Thanks,

Simon

Steve_Dunstable
Visitor

Simon,

Thanks for your reply. I am very pleased to say that today, after going through the factory reset procedure a couple more times, and having to remove the battery to get the camera to reboot, it appears to be working correctly again.

BTW, I can't see me ever telephoning customer support until they use a geographic or freephone number. It's very poor customer service when you have to pay for it; shame on Sony.

Regards,

Steve

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

Glad to hear that it is working again.

Regarding non-geographic phone numbers, I feel exactly the same way as more and more companies seem to be using these numbers (0844, 0845, 0870 etc) and different phone providers seem to have different rules about which numbers are inclusive for their customers. I have started using this site when looking up phone numbers:

http://www.saynoto0870.com

They have a constantly updated database for UK based companies including alternative landline and 0800 numbers which seem to be turned off and turned on at regular intervals. In the event that you end up having to dial one of the more expensive 0844 type numbers, I have found that some companies are more than happy to call you back if you have a genuine problem/complaint.

Thanks,

Simon