Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VGN FW11s Upgrade

SOLVED
profile.country.de_DE.title
sushbad005
Visitor

Sony Vaio VGN FW11s Upgrade

Hi All,

I am having above Vaio model since last two years. I need to upgrade the Processor from Core 2 Duo to Intel I5, and also my graphic card from ATI HD 3470 256MB to 512MB Is it possible?

Also is it possible  with current Specifications(Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit) to upgrade to Windows 7  PRO 64bit system?

Thanks a lot in advance for your valuable inputs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Bad news I'm afraid. 

You cannot upgrade the processor to Intel i5 - it is a different socket. Also because of the new I/O interconnect, chipsets and mainboards from  previous generations can no longer be used with the new i3/i5/i7 Nehalem based  processors.

The Graphics on laptops are not an interchangeable card but are chips soldered into the main board and cannot be economically upgraded - it would cost more than a new laptop.

You can upgrade to a 64-bit Windows system but Sony does not support Windows 7 or 64-bit on your model so you will have to hunt down all the 64-bit drivers individually.  You will also lose all the preinstalled Sony software because you cannot upgrade to 64-bit from 32-bit, it will have to be a clean installation of a commercially available version of Windows 7.

:slight_frown:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Bad news I'm afraid. 

You cannot upgrade the processor to Intel i5 - it is a different socket. Also because of the new I/O interconnect, chipsets and mainboards from  previous generations can no longer be used with the new i3/i5/i7 Nehalem based  processors.

The Graphics on laptops are not an interchangeable card but are chips soldered into the main board and cannot be economically upgraded - it would cost more than a new laptop.

You can upgrade to a 64-bit Windows system but Sony does not support Windows 7 or 64-bit on your model so you will have to hunt down all the 64-bit drivers individually.  You will also lose all the preinstalled Sony software because you cannot upgrade to 64-bit from 32-bit, it will have to be a clean installation of a commercially available version of Windows 7.

:slight_frown:

sushbad005
Visitor

@Blencogo

Thanks a lot for reply. But Can I upgrade to Windows 7 Home premium 32 bit? Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Download and run Microsoft's free Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor: -

http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor

This will check all your programs, devices and drivers and tell you what is not compatible with Windows 7.  You will probably find 2 or 3 devices are currently incompatible and you can then find Windows 7 drivers before you upgrade.

If you buy an UPGRADE version of Windows 7 HP then all your preinstalled software, utilities, programs, settings and data will be preserved.  You need to run the installation as an 'Upgrade in Place'.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-Upgrade-Vista/dp/B002DGS81C

:wink:

sushbad005
Visitor

Thanks Blencogo..:smileyhappy:

So instead of upgrading hardware better to go for new one...:smileyshocked: