Join now - be part of our community!

SteadyShot not working

profile.country.en_GB.title
A230user
Visitor

SteadyShot not working

My A230 (with stock 18-55 lens) has SteadyShot turned off (shown "Off" on the display and no icon in the viewfinder, though the scale bar display is on but never changes except to flash), and the menu item to turn it on is greyed out (unavailable). How can I set it on?

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.ro_RO.title
cristeis
Visitor

I have a sony A700 and I have the same problem. Apparently, The SteadyShot is out of order. You can not turn it on if it blinks. You need to have it fixed.

Now, my question is as follows: I bought the camera less than a year ago in St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles and now I have a problem with the SuperSteadyShot. The scale keeps blinking in the viewfinder whether the SSS is turned on or off. I contacted a sony service center in Romania and they told me that the camera is not cover by warranty because it was not bought in Europe. Please, can anyone confirm that the European Warranty doesn't include the island St. Maarten (part of Netherlands Antilles).

profile.country.GB.title
LisaP66
Explorer

I have the same problem with my new (to me) A330 - how do I turn it on when it is greyed out in the menu?

Tags (2)
profile.country.GB.title
Elodin

Hey @A230user, you can turn SteadyShot by pressing the MENU button, go to camera settings 1 and set [SteadyShot] On, If you are unable to do that, try to use a different lens on the camera and test if you are able to use SteadyShot or not. 

profile.country.GB.title
Elodin

Hey @LisaP66, you can turn it on by pressing the MENU button, go to camera settings 1 and set [SteadyShot] On, you can also follow the steps and guidelines specified in page 46 here

profile.country.GB.title
Elodin

Hey @cristeis, I believe that Romania and the Netherlands both share the same region which is Europe. I would recommend contacting either Sony Romania support here or Sony Netherlands support here. Explain to them the situation and they would advise you with what to do and regarding the warranty as well. 

profile.country.GB.title
LisaP66
Explorer

Thanks, Elodin - I have already looked at this but can't turn SteadyShot on as the facility in settings is greyed out and I can't change it?

profile.country.GB.title
Elodin

Hey @LisaP66 It might be related to the lens you are using, as the SteadyShot function of the lens overrides the SteadyShot function of the camera body as explained here

profile.country.GB.title
LisaP66
Explorer

Hi Elodin - thanks but I have tried two different lenses, the kit 18-55 and a Minolta AF 28-100 and with either lens, the SteadyShot option in the Menu remains greyed out and non-functional. What else can I try?

profile.country.GB.title
Elodin

Hey @LisaP66, I think the camera will need to be repaired at this point, contact Sony support directly from here