Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Twobins

I wouldn't waste time looking for a screen fix, just tell them to collect the tv as it is not as advertised. The JL technical department are well aware of this. I spoke to them several times before returning my tv, although in my case, I was just inside the 90 day return window.

2015 is nearly over and Sony are still trying to sort out their 2015 Android TV range. I'll bet they are more focussed on the new 2016 range. They need to get those right and they will be using our experience as unpaid beta testers to help them do it.

NickCo1979

I'd just echo the comment above. If you are able to send it back, get it sent back. No YouView, no HDD Recording, no PIP / PAP are all viable reasons to return the set as "not as advertised" under the SOG act.

Sony can't fix it. If they could they would have by now. Get rid and research the alternatives :slight_smile: 

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

As an unpaid BETA tester, it would be nice as compensation to be offered one of those new 2016 models they are probably working on Lol.

Probably,  more realistically,  be offered a free (limited choice selection)  of movies from the PlayStation video when (if)  it's released!  Still meaning for those who have not got PSN accounts,  another sign up to a service they did not want, and SONY gaining another possible subscriber.

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Dear Sony UK Community visitors,

With regret, on behalf of Sony I must confirm that the intended rollout from today (13th October) of a firmware update for BRAVIA Android TVs to UK consumers, has had to be delayed.

Despite our very best efforts up to late on 12th October, during final testing processes technical issues were found, which require time to correct. As such, we intend to roll out the update originally planned for today, on Wednesday 28th October.

We are very much aware of the further inconvenience this delay will cause to some of our customers, and apologise unreservedly for this.

Between now and 28th October, our Customer Support website (www.sony.co.uk/support) remains the best place for UK customers to access the most detailed update information on the firmware rollout schedule and details. It has just been updated with the following article, that shares more details about the regrettable delay mentioned above:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/android-tv-features-uk

Please note that you can also register your e-mail address on that page, for direct updates about the firmware rollout to your e-mail inbox.

I will continue to keep you updated within this Community thread, with all related situation updates.

With kind regards,

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

Where we upto is the update coming today or not?  So glad amazon refunded me for the TV and let me keep it. I don't mind waiting now but some clear communication from Sony wouldn't go a miss.

profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

Never mind my last sentence Sony replied same time I was posting. I do think Sony is taking us all for mugs trying to make you keep your TV's past the deadline days for your returns, I doubt there will be any updates in October. It's been 6 months since the last update if they can't do it in 6 months the whole team should be fired, and poach some of Samsungs staff.

profile.country.en_GB.title
petsmart

Thanks for the update Peter. Disapointing and will keep fingers crossed for the 28th.

Although i doubt this very much it would be nice if Sony were to gesture some compensation for its ownsers of the affected TV's for many reasons which I will not list.

It would be easy to do and maybe you might get some more people keeping the TV in anticipation that all our issues might be resolved at some point..

profile.country.GB.title
Dazrise3

I agree that Sony should compansate us for holding out.

i got sick of speaking to Sony via email, twitter etc on the last firmware update so now just sitting tight.

profile.country.GB.title
Dazrise3

If Amazon can refund the cost and let users keep the TV then i'm sure Sony could offer something worthwhile to show some customer loyalty.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Randy_Rockhard wrote:

Dear Sony UK Community visitors,

With regret, on behalf of Sony I must confirm that the intended rollout from today (13th October) of a firmware update for BRAVIA Android TVs to UK consumers, has had to be delayed.

Despite our very best efforts up to late on 12th October, during final testing processes technical issues were found, which require time to correct. As such, we intend to roll out the update originally planned for today, on Wednesday 28th October.

We are very much aware of the further inconvenience this delay will cause to some of our customers, and apologise unreservedly for this.

Between now and 28th October, our Customer Support website (www.sony.co.uk/support) remains the best place for UK customers to access the most detailed update information on the firmware rollout schedule and details. It has just been updated with the following article, that shares more details about the regrettable delay mentioned above:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/android-tv-features-uk

Please note that you can also register your e-mail address on that page, for direct updates about the firmware rollout to your e-mail inbox.

I will continue to keep you updated within this Community thread, with all related situation updates.

With kind regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

considering a number of us have had this TV since May when it was released and have been suffering all these issues are you intending to compensate us? My suggestion would be the dual shock 4 controller that I did not get because I bought too early even thought I paid £1799! I also would like to suggest a number of free movies / pan now 3 month subscription. Finally a £500 voucher off for the 2016 version which will ultimately have all the fixes we have been beta testing for the last 6 months.