Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

Since the latest firmware update (UK) I have not had a single crash or freeze. Android's Google Play's store is adding new apps too, so thankfully it's eco system might take off.  :slight_smile:

The selection of Android Apps for my Sony X83C TV still needs a lot of improving though. :remote:

What I'm after and have been for several weeks now is The  PlayStation Video App that comes with the FMP-X5.

There where reports from CES 2016 that the X83C and above models would be getting the App.

Where? :thinking:

Ive checked the app store (Google play), I've checked every other store too like iOS, Windows Store, well quite a few too see where it pops up first. But still nothing. Even surprisingly nothing on Linux or the PSN itself. Every version of the app is HD max only. When can we here in the UK expect to see the addition of the 4K app?

The PiP and USB Recording are not my issue at present, its just the lack of the App after its unveiling this year :

Here's the report if anybody has a 2015 Bravia or newer : :smileyinfo:

http:The new app that lets you watch Sony movies in 4K UHD //4k.com/news/ces-2016-the-new-app-that-l...

Please if anybody know when its coming to the UK please let me know, :handshake:

Kind regards

Richard :laughing:

iamkloot55

Had to do restart 4 times today to get the swipe remote to work.
So simple Sony tech guys . wireless mouse.
Or are their any tech guys ?
I have an android box now .
So sorry I bought this tv
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rsebre

"Additionally, at its press conference, Sony unveiled ULTRA, a new app from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment to be launched this year in the US. With ULTRA, you can purchase and stream 4K HDR movies and TV shows – the best new and classic titles from the 4K digital library of Sony Pictures – directly on your Sony BRAVIA TV."

From a Press Release at the time.  Note the US bit.

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

Thanks for the Reply - Noted (A like will be given) :thumbsup:

USA Only. :nauseated_face:

Does that mean if I set up a PSN USA Account and Store Cards that I could log into The PlayStation Store on my PS4 (The USA Store) and purchase and watch 4K content, instead on the HD offered by every other app here in the UK? :smileyinfo:

I have heard of others doing this, but never of the results. :smileyinfo:

If I installed the USA Firmware on my X83C would this make the App available?  :remote:

Would I have to run a VPN to trick it into thinking I was in New York? :remote:

Has anybody with a compatible Bravia Set been able to root their device ? :laughing:

Anybody ? Suggestions - In the UK :handshake:

Kind regards

Richard :slight_smile:

oodles2do

@rsebre

I've just got a VPN working, there seems to be a few on the store. This one is free for now, I think it's only going to give me 10 days before I have to pay.

I'm on the PlayStation Video app and it's the US version, so the VPN worked. However, I can't see any 4K options. I don't know if I'm just looking in the wrong places, but I'm on the latest films and a film like Star Wars: The Force Awakens only has HD and SD options :/.

EDIT :

Another option is Ultraflix, trying that now. All the prices are in dollars, despite having no VPN anymore and I assume everything is in 4K as there is no quality label on the films. Mixed reviews about it online, some say some of the films are excellent whilst others aren't so great. They also say that the sound isn't that great on a lot of them.

hordley
New

Had noprobs with mine

Sent from my iPad
profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

@oodles2do

:handshake:

Thank you for the info. :smileyinfo:

So it does seem that the PlayStation App for the USA Firmware running Bravia 2015 Plus Models Displays are the only ones with this enabled. All other incarnations of the Playstation Store and Playstation Video Apps, be it on anyother device are not as upto date with this one.:smileyztele: :bomb:

My set here in the UK has HEVC. Why can't I have that option. :nauseated_face:

I have just been on Amazon and Sony are releasing The Martian (Matt Damon) on one of the first UHD 4K Blurays. :slight_smile:

So Im now digging through the tech specs of the player (Again it's USA Only!) to see if a simple transformer swap/Plug attachment would allow me to run the Player here in the UK (Or will it's firmware also be region locked and require a VPN to trick it) so I can actually watch the film that I've wanted to watch for months in 4K with my X83C (HDMI2.0 HDCP +HEVC) Display here in the UK. :clap:

All in all though, the player (£300, plus the disc (£30) is not that much of an outlay to watch it. But I bet you, if I go off and do that Sony will allow it in a new firmware /OS update and it will have been a pointless out lay. :thinking:

Do you think they are holding of the PlayStation Video 4K option until the HDD Recording option is implemented and that way we could use an external harddrive to save our 4K Content and not just Stream? :wink:

Just a road map of Firmware Update, to indicate whats being worked on and whats not. :smileyinfo:

Android is not at fault here. These sets are very capable of running its newest incarnations.

Thanks for the info again, and a like given

Kind regards

oodles2do

@rsebre

That seems like a lot of money for a 4K player that might not work here! I don't know why they lock things to USA only, maybe it's because it's a large country with one language (unlike Europe). I'm trying out Ultraflix at the moment, I can watch trailers for free, and they're all very good quality. Definitely 4K, sound is decent too through my soundbar.

You only seem to be able to rent, and the prices are around $5 to $10 (all still in $ for some reason). Also, the stream buffers on trailer despite it doing an internet speed test and it coming out at around 50 Mbps download speed. Maybe direct plug in with ehternet would solve that.

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

@oodles2do

I have also set up an UlraFlix Account as the App is one of the few on the supported UK Google Play Store, Apps For TV Section. I havent used it though since setting it up as it's pricing is all over the place and I'm not too sure it is what it says it is. From what reviews I read and from the comparisons I've read. Any stream of said 4K quality will be in HEVC but at a more compressed ratio to that of the physical copy (Disc). :remote: :smileyinfo:

Hence, trying to figure out how I can play the UHD Bluray Disc "The Martian" here in the UK when even the Disc seems to USA Only. So just to recap, thats the FMP-X10 - The PlayStation Video 4K App and now the disc's and players) :nauseated_face:

The Martian [4K UHD] [Blu-ray]  :nauseated_face:

Sony don't actually have a player, for that I will need either to pre order the Samsung one, or get the Panasonic One : Ultra HD Blu-ray: everything you need to know :smileyplus:

Thanks for the response's, like will be given :slight_smile:

Kind regards :handshake:

equinoximmure
Explorer

I've also not had any problems so far with my 43w807 after 3 weeks. Really pleased with it so far, it's even more responsive than my old 42w705. The only issue I've had was the remote freezing for about 10 seconds which corrected itself fairly quickly.