Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.fr_FR.title
SONY_FR

Hi @oodles2do.

I returned my set to JL after about 70 days of Sony Android TV pain. I gave
the technical support guy in the store a printed description of the top 13
issues I was experiencing. I stated that I wanted a full refund against the
purchase a more expensive TV. I experienced nothing other than courtesy and
helpfulness from JL support. I spent the additional money on an LG 55UF860V
that I¹m very happy with.

BTW you do realise that your proposed replacement TV, whilst being OLED, is
not 4K?

Well I have been OK happy with my 43W809C (bought from Currys December 2015) - some concerns with Lip Sync that seem to have been resolved; delay in sound switching off after TV is switched off ias still there but seemed to be better after the Feb s/w upgrade. Truth is I am a very basic SMART TV user - not using Netflix or any other subscription service, and my TV is just connected to a BluRau player and a Sony Soundbase. But now I am finding that the YouView clock is losing time - since the Feb upgrade.  I haven't ploughed through post here to see if that is a common problem and/or here is a fix.  But I am increasingly concerned that I find more issues and this thread contunues to grow like Topsy,  

andygoz

Not so much an issue more of a question

On my old bravia after turning the tv on at the mains socket and pressing the sky button on my sky remote this would turn on both the sky box and the tv power.

Ojn my new sony bravia android tv 49 x835 This works when the tv is on standby and i press the sky button it then all comes on

However first thing in the morning when turning the tv on from cold i have to press the tv power button as well as the sky button

any ideas how to change this?

thank you

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@adyjay33 wrote:

Iam guessing that  they will try and say no in which case im jsut going up higher, if that does not work Im going to court simple as that, all the evidence on here about people taking their sets back etc... will be sufficient plus all the videos and photos of this set playing up too will prove a 100% win.

I do not think they dont know about it in any Currys store, this would have been said to them Iam sure of it.

As you say there is only one way unless they really want their name dragged through the courts and thus the press too and thats to refund me so I am free to go elsewhere if need be, and get a set that works, I wont miss Kodi or any other apps on it as I can get that through my android box or even a Amazon Firestick.

I dont however want to keep waiting so if I do not hear from them I will be going in and taking the set with me and wont leave until I get a refund. As has been pointed out to them I have a conrtract with them not Sony so lets see how this pans out.

Taking the TV back is an excellent way of showing you are serious. And a person in a shop with a TV in a gurt big box, making a quiet but persistent public fuss about them taking it back, is not what Currys want other customers to see.

I have used the Small Claims Procedure in the County Court (to give it its exact name) in the past successfully, when a company was unreasonably tardy in paying me for some software I had written for them. It cost £65, which I got back, plus my invoice paid, plus statutory interest, double-quick, as that company did not want a CCJ against them. And I was enormously amused when the solicitor for another contractor with the same problem with that company rang me up to ask how I'd achieved it 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@andygoz wrote:

Not so much an issue more of a question

On my old bravia after turning the tv on at the mains socket and pressing the sky button on my sky remote this would turn on both the sky box and the tv power.

Ojn my new sony bravia android tv 49 x835 This works when the tv is on standby and i press the sky button it then all comes on

However first thing in the morning when turning the tv on from cold i have to press the tv power button as well as the sky button

any ideas how to change this?

thank you

Will the TV turn on from the proper Sony remote under these circumstances?

Will the TV turn on if you hold the Sky remote On button down for a while longer in these circumstances?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

(Deleted duplicate)
andygoz

Purchased my android Bravia  tv 4 weeks ago and I have to say I haven't used every feature on the to but  for the things I have used it for  youview, YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, play store movies, Google cast its been excellent thus far. 

I am at a loss to explain why there are over 500 pages of issues. Maybe because I'm late to the party of getting one of these tv's they have ironed out some of the issues 

One slight annoyance is not is not being able to delete some of the pre installed apps to free up space. 

Are there any of the system settings/ bloat  that are essentially pointless that can be deleted? Not familiar with android so don't wanna go deleting just anything however I'm sure Google Japanese keyboard for example isn't relevant or necessary. 

andygoz

It's ok it's sorted itself out now, I think it let be that I was pressing the on button too soon after turning plug on at the wall. If I leave it 10 seconds it then responds and all turns on via sky remote 

Jimmyjamh
Explorer

@andygoz wrote:

Purchased my android Bravia  tv 4 weeks ago and I have to say I haven't used every feature on the to but  for the things I have used it for  youview, YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, play store movies, Google cast its been excellent thus far. 

I am at a loss to explain why there are over 500 pages of issues. Maybe because I'm late to the party of getting one of these tv's they have ironed out some of the issues 

One slight annoyance is not is not being able to delete some of the pre installed apps to free up space. 

Are there any of the system settings/ bloat  that are essentially pointless that can be deleted? Not familiar with android so don't wanna go deleting just anything however I'm sure Google Japanese keyboard for example isn't relevant or necessary. 

I'm with you on this. I've been very impressed so far with mine but I have recently discovered my first but fairly minor issue - the clock keeps losing time. It doesn't matter if I have it set to Broadcast, Network or manual, the time always drops back. 

adyjay33

As you have bought the TV late its possible they have made hardware changes that solve many of the issues, the software will be the same regardless and you may find later that when you have ran a lot of apps etc... it might go flaky on you anyway.

If they have changed the hardware then people who bought these sets should be getting a replacement instead of having them repaired as the TV is not fit for purpose and is just a disaster waiting to happen when Sony drops all support for them which I think will not be that long.

Im glad yours seems ok and hopec it continues but I am on the path of a replacement set of a different make and not a repair, even a refund would be better as I can go to John Lewis and get a 5 year warranty regardless of what set I buy (Currys take note).

I am hoping to get a call soon but I am holding off on contacting Sony as the contract lies with Currys, why should I go out of my way when I am the customer in all this, Im not a lap dog to be told you have to do this and do that before we can decide.

I dont mind paying a bit more for a proper decent TV now, so if Currys sort themselves out they will make more money out of me anyway, if they dont have a decent set then I will go elsewhere.

It does not matter that I have had the TV from the 1st Nov as the SOG act gives me 6 months as this has an inherent fault in it and I think Sony and Currys already know the problems, hence why so many have returned the sets, Currys saying they dont know is a smokescreen and I will go up much higher if this is not sorted out soon.

What amused me was when we went back to the shop with the serial number the locked up set had been restarted, its a shame you cant do anyhting with them in the store apart from watch their USB stick videos, if they were able to get YouView there then you could paly around with it.

Itsa lovely picture but sadly the TV has to go, I cant take it anymore and fear for the future of it.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!