Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

Yes always power off completely at the socket no problems with my set as using the European firmware of March 2016 version 3317 ,has to be downloaded to a usb stick as a tech hitch in Holland with someone using OTA.

USB record works great on Satellite and Freeview and my satbox powers on with Sony remote.

PIP is great too plus the twin tuners make it very flexible.. KDX 9305C purchased December 2015

oodles2do

@MiCal1967

I'm sorry but I really don't think it's hardware, if it was each of us would have consistent errors. For me it's clear it's software, upon resetting my TV it becomes very responsive, and just what you'd expect from the TV. However it gradually becomes slower and slower, at the moment I cannot use it as a TV, it won't let me open guide, I pressed guide about 4 times then Kodi opened....

This indicated a massive memory leak issue, files that are being used in the code probably aren't being closed when they're finished and space isn't being given back to the system. This means that everytime a method is called in the code the file is opened again, more memory is used without being closed off after.

EDIT: I bought my TV in September, August build. Currently in conversation with John Lewis about getting a refund as I'm sick of it, we've been so patient in waiting for Sony to fix it (love all my other Sony products, I'm one of the few with an Xperia).

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@oodles2do

Hi there

You could be right but unfortunately what I said can also be true. There is surely a way to fix hardware issues with software. By downgrading. Same way that Safe Mode works in Windows. Safe Mode "recognizes" EVERYTHING but hardware "is not itself". Thats what they(Sony) are finally going to do.if harware is problematic design. You know "Real China" is 15 years old. Forget Japan. It was 30 years ago. My first TV was a Sony, I think KV2192 or something, bought it 1989 and still works with NO PROBLEMS. You are not going to see that again.

This is impossible after a factory reset or a firmware update, a same model of TV set to issue different problems or one to have a problem and another not. This is absolutely hardware. Also my hardware memory could be different than yours, network card could be different than yours, USB controller could be diferent than yours etc. One of these could be problematic and cause errors in mainboard.

This memory issue that you say, I also have in Setting Digital Adjustments. Whenever I try to search or arrange channels I feel that I drive a car with no engine but with bicycle pedals. This is also the reason that nothing is stored and TV behaves whatever it likes...

profile.country.GB.title
Penpal1999

The problems are mostly related to software and not hardware. Just go into setting and see what running apps you have going, and you can start to see why so many people have problems. I normally have over 40 running background apps, most cannot be killed as they are part of Android.

Saying that, I have had a much better time with the TV since the Feb 2016 update. I have disabled YouView (as I use the sat inputs) and the TV has been very stable only needing the odd reboot once a week. I have had 'ES Explorer' opening when you turn the TV on, but now I just disconnect the USB drive unless I'm using it.

I found a way to get 3D to work on most HDMI and Apps. Just download 'Sony TV SideView' app on your phone and link it to the TV. Then start your 3D film on the TV (yes even through Kodi). Using the SideView app, select the remote control screen and scroll down to the bottom. Select the 3D button, and the menu will show on the TV for you to select SBS or Over Under. Once selected the TV goes into 3D regardless. 

If you don't have a Smart phone that you can load 'Sony TV SideView' on, then you can try getting hold of an old Sony remote that has the 3D button on it. That will work too.

So this tells me that Sony messed up the 3D function of these TVs, because they moved the 3D function to the Action Menu, but messed up the implementation so it does not show up most of the time (LOL). As an application developer by profession, I'm shocked by the mistakes they have made. But as I said, I am much happier with the TV now. Maybe because I have just worked out so many work-around to use it the way I want.

Looking forward to PIP (I'm in the UK), but worried that the update will make it unstable again. Does anyone with the new March Update know if PIP works without 'YouView' being enabled? I don't think I will ever re-enable 'YouView', as it is the cause of most issues everyone is having.

(Sony Bravia kd55x8509c)

A happier customer than a few months ago, but still not recommending Sony TV to friends or family.

Picture Quality is just great mind... LOL

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@Penpal1999

TV Input Framework is the main software problem for all of us. https://source.android.com/devices/tv/

They have made and continue not to solve many mistakes, mostly related to user interaction and permissions. I don't know why, but possibly for security reasons since this the first company using pure Android. Most User actions are not saved. They have to fix and this is silly not to do. You know better since you are a programmer.

But I continue to believe about hardware problems.

Bravia KD55X8508C

Happy when watching DVBT, Codi and Youtube

Very very Unhappy during SETTINGS ADJUSTMENTS and because of sat channel re-sorting themselves

oodles2do

@Penpal1999

Althought frequent restarts help my TV too, I worry for future updates, what if the next one bricks my TV as others have had? Also, how long are Sony going to support these devices? 18 - 24 months is the standard for smartphones and similar devices, these TV's are nearly 12 months already. For me, Sony has a long way to go to sort out the issues and make it acceptable for an electronic device in 2015/16, I'm not prepared to take the risk that it won't be solved in the timeframe.

alanxce

I have a KD 55X8509C hooked up to a Sony CT780 sound bar. I have just had a pair of Sony ZX330BT headphones delivered but I am unable to pair them with the tv or the sound bar. Am I right in thinking the Bluetooth on both items is receive only and I therefore need to buy a Bluetooth transmitter to plug into the tv headphone socket?
Not sure if this the right forum but pretty sure the wealth of knowledge of the contributors on here will know the answer.

chbjerg

There's no a2dp profile in the tv, making sound form bluetooth impossible. Probably the same with your soundbar. 

chbjerg

@pajo100 your software is from February 17th :wink: - not March... You had me searching for new software 

profile.country.en_GB.title
mimorga46
Explorer

It is interesting to see that the forum is still full of the continuing problems with these Sony sets. I have always had great respect for Sony and its products - but they have got things horribly wrong this time, whatever the cause or reason. They will come back . . . and I am sure I will consider their products again in the future, but they have lost my custom and trust this time.

Having received a refund credited to my card account on Wednesday, it was perhaps ironic that my new Panasonic, TX- 50CX680B also arrived that day. Having tweaked the settings as advised on the AV forums, and using a calibration disc, I am sure the picture quality is every bit as good as the Sony it has replaced. Indeed, the blacks seem even better to my eye and SD broadcasts for regional news on BBC and ITV are certainly clearer and less grainy than on the 49 inch Sony. If you decide that you want to seek a full refund as I did, I would suggest that you take a look at this Panasonic model to see if it suits you. Like the Sony it has come down in price since its launch and with the refund I am actually £300 better off! Also, I can confirm that the Panasonic does work as a television should - hit the keys on the remote and it really does respond straight away. Win win as far as I am concerned, and it certainly meets and fulfils my needs.