Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
elraouk

My old sony allowed tv speakers and headphones (via optical to wireless headphones), new ones don't.  I have to switch audio to external speakers, where as before I just had to mute the TV and turn headphones on. 
Is a pain we can't choose how we use these sets. 
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@alanxce I have a W805C connected via HDMI-ARC to an older soundbar HTCT350 and it works in the way you would like: if I enter the jack on the headphone input of the TV the soundbar is NOT muted, only the TV speakers are automatically muted. The behaviour is extactly the same as in previous versions (I own a 2013's W805A too)

And you have a different control to set the headphone volume (via Action menu).

julianblack

@oodles2do

Glad to see that it looks like you¹re being sorted out. In what was the the
initial woman rude? Was she refusing to go ³off script² and accept that you
had a real issue?

I¹ve seen a few of these returned (but still with original packaging) Sony
Android TVs in John Lewis on offer at a reduced price. Some poor individuals
are going to think that they are getting a great deal!

I also wonder who is going to foot the bill for these returns ­ the
retailers to Sony. I hope the latter.
oodles2do

@julianblack

Yeah I've been wondering that too, I think the retailers will have something to say to Sony about it, they'll be losing money.

Yeah she was refusing to go off srcript and was quite aggressive and standoff-ish. She immedietely jumped on the fact that it was past the 90 return period so it now comes under a repair. I pointed out a number of times that it was software not hardware so they wouldn't be able to come and fix it. She still stood by the fact that it would have to be repaired, and then I pointed that it's a widespread issue and I don't want a repair or replacement., and mentioned that if you look at any of the reviews for any Sony TV on their website there are numerous that complain about the OS. 

She then said well there are also loads of good ratings, the overall is 4/5 so there can't be that many. I then listed all the problems that I had and she tried some "technical support" which consisted of asking me to do a factory reset and then check for a software update. I said no I'm not doing a factory reset because that'll make it better but only for a couple of days, and I've got the latest software, and a factory reset is the first thing I did!. She then said, well because it's sottware and we only deal with hardware support there won't be anything we can do.... (I know that!!).

Eventually I asked to speak to her manager and then she got one for me, and said he knows about the Sony Android TV isues. When I spoke to him I didn't even need to list any issues, he very quickly asked if there's another TV that I'd like in exchange :).

Literocola
Explorer

Hi,

- TV: 55X8509C, bought at Currys October 2015

Since the last FEB update, the standard video player doesn't work properly anymore. It will stretch the image vertically, so black lines in original file on top and bottom of image won't show. Aspect ratio is not adjustable via remote or settings. I tried playback via VLC, but then the image stutters.

- Does anyone else have the same problem?

- I only use HDMI playback and USB video. Can I install a firmware from another country (for example NL, for which language won't be an issue since I'm Dutch)

oodles2do

@Literocola

Download Kodi, it's the only app that works properly on my TV. I suggest taking the TV back though, although the picture is great I don't trust Sony to fix the OS issues before they drop support for these TV's. Such a shame that we had to take it back.

Janekch

Hi, I have the same problem while I am watching video from dlna server.

cozzykim

@oodles2do

We had the opposite experience with JL. When we first rang them, after the 90 day period, the operator was immediately helpful and efficient. She agreed that they'd had similar complaints and returns, and said, (basically) "just bring it back to the store and drop it off at the collection/returns counter, then go upstairs to the TV dept and show your returns receipt to choose an alternative TV."

This all worked well until we presented our returns note to the TV dept, who said that we'd ahve to go through the "tech support" dept first, where they weren't initially so helpful. They insisted that it had been dropped off to go away for repair, not for replacement, totally trying to stonewall us.

I just calmly stuck to my guns, said that we would never accept it back, "repaired" or otherwise, that it was not "fit for purpose", said that we would go to the small claims court if necessary and that we wouldn't leave the counter without a refund or credit note.
Eventually he did the car dealer trick "I'll just go and check with my boss" (LOL) and gave us the "just this once" routine, which was totally redundant as we were the only people in earshot and had decided by then that we weren't going to buy anothe TV from John Lewis.

We went straight to Richer Sounds and got the TV that we'd decided would replace the Sony.

Stick at it if you want to return the TV as NFFP, you'll get there eventually, because it isn't currently FFP, and the retailer knows it.

PS, I'm not gloating, I still think that the Android concept is preferable to the closed operating systems offered by other manufacturers (even though they currently work better than Android TV) and I'm still a fan of the Bravia picture quality, here's hoping that it gets properly fixed and that the 2016 models are even better.

oodles2do

@cozzykim

It was the technical support team that I spoke to on the phone, they might have been told to try and stop people from sending them back. If people know they can send them back easily and get a full refund they'll do it. Because TV prices have come down a lot since September (when we bought it) so you can get a much better model now.

Jimmyjamh
Explorer

@cozzykim wrote:

@oodles2do

We had the opposite experience with JL. When we first rang them, after the 90 day period, the operator was immediately helpful and efficient. She agreed that they'd had similar complaints and returns, and said, (basically) "just bring it back to the store and drop it off at the collection/returns counter, then go upstairs to the TV dept and show your returns receipt to choose an alternative TV."

This all worked well until we presented our returns note to the TV dept, who said that we'd ahve to go through the "tech support" dept first, where they weren't initially so helpful. They insisted that it had been dropped off to go away for repair, not for replacement, totally trying to stonewall us.

I just calmly stuck to my guns, said that we would never accept it back, "repaired" or otherwise, that it was not "fit for purpose", said that we would go to the small claims court if necessary and that we wouldn't leave the counter without a refund or credit note.
Eventually he did the car dealer trick "I'll just go and check with my boss" (LOL) and gave us the "just this once" routine, which was totally redundant as we were the only people in earshot and had decided by then that we weren't going to buy anothe TV from John Lewis.

We went straight to Richer Sounds and got the TV that we'd decided would replace the Sony.

Stick at it if you want to return the TV as NFFP, you'll get there eventually, because it isn't currently FFP, and the retailer knows it.

PS, I'm not gloating, I still think that the Android concept is preferable to the closed operating systems offered by other manufacturers (even though they currently work better than Android TV) and I'm still a fan of the Bravia picture quality, here's hoping that it gets properly fixed and that the 2016 models are even better.

I've had mine a month and so far apart from the clock losing time I've not had any issues except for one remote freeze. I'm seriously tempted though to get in touch with JL (I ordered mine online via price match) and return it. The levels of people sending their X back is making me nervous. Trouble is I'm going to have to add quite a bit to get something of the same spec now I think.