Join now - be part of our community!

4K HDR Content on XF9005 Too Dark and colorless, washed out - Pure source.

profile.country.GR.title
Ste571

4K HDR Content on XF9005 Too Dark and colorless, washed out - Pure source.

I have read similar posts about Dark and washed out HDR 4k, (when watched on youtube) but that

did not help my problem.Neither did answer my questions I am not watching 4k on youtube but through an external HDD connected to usb port.

I am new to 4k HDR, and this tv is new and after I tried to play pure , I repeat, "pure" 4k content through usb using the internal tv player, I was really dissapointed.

First of all 4k looks very dark, compared to 1080p (same source) even with the brightest settings I tried. I increased gamma, black, every brightness setting nothing. Its just looks worse and almost unbearable to watch.

Also it looks less colorful than 1080  blu ray and a bit more washed out . I do not understand if there is some setting I must do or if thats how 4k looks like, or it is just the specific model of Sony.

I would appreciate if someone could help . Ty.

25 REPLIES 25
profile.country.GB.title
gcac2828

Just for feedback to to your artical.

We have a Sony 43XE8005 4K Android TV.

Veiwing Smart youtube 4K video's (search 4K video) the results are very good.

Dowloading same 4k video on Desktop PC transfered to USB stick and viewed on TV the results are the same good quality.

profile.country.GR.title
Ste571

I understand your post, but my problem is when 4k is compared to 1080p blue ray.

On 43 inches the differences would be if not non existant at least minimal.

But on 55 inches I would expect to see some improvement from 1080p Blu ray to 4k UHD HDR blu ray.

But its dark, less attractive and even less colorful. I do not understand really what is going on.

If i was playing it through a hdmi cable I would try to replace the cable but the source is on an external HDD and using the Tvs internal HEVC player. Still results are bad. Perhaps the tv is too good and does great upscaling from 1080p to 4k, and there is no difference or perhaps HDR in movie industry is still too hyped and not standar.

If someone has experience please share.

profile.country.GB.title
gcac2828

I understood your reply, I agree the difference between 43" & 55" but the difference if as bad as you state would still show on 43".

To elimiate possible problems with your extrenal HDD...have you tested a 4K transmission direct on TV using Smart youtube.

profile.country.GR.title
Ste571

Not yet ,  but yes I will try youtube.

The only thing i tried was to download some 4k sample vids from sony site, and....they look great.

They are not HDR tho. So i suspect that HDR movies from the film industry need at least 65 inches, a dark enviroment, amd perhaps an even better player than the tv ones? I read some other similar posts from other users, and I see that other people have similar problems with 4k HDR as well.

profile.country.GB.title
gcac2828

Suggest you install on your TV

Scroll down the list. This will enable you to easy install the latest Smart
Youtube

edited [personal details removed]

profile.country.GB.title
Kenny62
Explorer

I purchased the Sony XF 9005 55 inch tv in March and it will not process 4k hdr  correctly it’s too dull and washed out it is ok with 4k with no hdr  processing, I’ve tried Sonnys customer services and all I  get is blank no help at all Sony should take the screen back it doesn’t work properly and refund my money.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

What do you mean by not processing "any 4k HDR"? Which source are you feeding to the TV? An UHD BD player via HDMI, a streaming service (Amazon prime video? Netflix?), a video file via the Video App, a sat source (SkyQ) ?

Once we are sure about the source, please check that the TV is applying the right HDR profile (i.e. Dolby Vision if the source is DV, HDR10 , HLG in case of broadcaster)

profile.country.GB.title
Kenny62
Explorer

It’s taken a time to reply because I wanted to try different settings for the tv hdr inputs ect, I have purchased a chromecast ultra plug into one of the hdmi inputs and the hdr problems still exists, hdr programming send the brightness setting up to the max while displaying a dull brightness down to the minimum on the xf9005 screen I do not know if it is a software or firmware fault but it is annoying and dealing with Sony customers services by phone or internet emails is a waste of time the do nothing to help, the tv is a waste of my money because it does not display 4k hdr correctly, so to sum up the xf9005 tv when inputting hdr send the brightness down to the absolute minimum on the screen while on the settings page it’s showing brightness up to the max  the tv has been a frustrating waste of my money.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It took you 6 months to waste money on a chromecast you already have embedded in your tv just to tell us nothing more. Did you test it against a reference pattern to measure it?