Join now - be part of our community!

AG8 software update PKG6.6545 breaks Alexa's ability to turn on the TV

profile.country.GB.title
davidpow
Explorer

AG8 software update PKG6.6545 breaks Alexa's ability to turn on the TV

A few days ago, I received notification on my AG8 that there was a software update available and I duly installed it per the instructions (over the air). On the Help screen it now shows that the SW installed is PKG6.6545 so he install was successful.

I also have the Bravia Alexa skill linked and have, for many months, used Alexa to turn on the TV (either with a direct command or via a routine). And this has worked no problem.

But since the update, using Alexa (again, either directly or via a routine) to turn on the TV, results in the TV going through it's boot sequence rather than just switching on and playing last channel viewed. And after the boot sequence (displaying Android->SONY->"funny coloured circles"...) it displays the Home screen, and I then have to press TV on the remote to go to the last channel viewed.

I have unlinked and re-linked my Alexa skill and TV and still the problem persists...making the TV unusable with Alexa.

Has anyone else seen this - and maybe solved it???

Thanks!

Has anyone else seen this?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

After an update, a Factory Reset is suggested by Sony, do you did?

profile.country.GB.title
davidpow
Explorer

Thanks Marino,

So I have now done a factory reset and retuned as needed. And now I have the problem that not only does switching on via Alexa do this, but also - every other time - so does switching on using the remote "power-on" button.

To say this is annoying is something of an understatement.

I think I will need to contact Sony Support because this is certainly unacceptable.

regards

Dave

profile.country.GB.title
davidpow
Explorer

A slight amendment to the problem description...the problem of going through the boot sequence after switch on is not only related to Alexa, it also occurs when using the remote power button. But, in both cases, it only happens when the TV has been off for a few hours (e.g. overnight).

I have reported to Sony support, who gave me a set of instructions to follow (unplug, clear cache, do factory reset). This did not fix the problem and now they are sending an engineer! All for a software update!

profile.country.GB.title
davidpow
Explorer

Engineer visited and said this is not a HW problem but a SW problem. He could take it away and replace the main board but as that would have the old SW on problem would re-occur when it updated. So I kept it! In the meantime found that the problem is also reported in thread https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/android-8-0-oreo-bug-xf9005-reboot-automatically-when-tur....

So, tried one of the suggestions there...setting Guide Update in standby to Off. But that did not work.

Have now set Bluetooth to "Off" as Sony support, when I reported what the engineer had said, told me this is one possible workaround and their tech department is aware of this SW problem (yes, despite what they had said previously)!

I'll let you know if that works...though it seems that disables the mic on the remote, this is something I don't use as I have Alexa set up

kayeight
New

hi

sorry about your problem, but I'm curious as to how you turn on  the tv within an alexa routine, could you explain how you did it ?