Join now - be part of our community!

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

profile.country.GB.title
diodorus

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

I just read about the upcoming Nougat update for (US?) sony TVs, for example the KDX8300D.

Any idea if this will also happen at the same time for the (UK?) XD83, and if so if this will fix the 5.1 issues?

Thanks!

346 REPLIES 346
profile.country.GB.title
darrenj11

just getting the USB version installed now.

profile.country.GB.title
darrenj11

Just had a play, cant see anything in this update that will impact how I use the TV, everything works the same way and the main structure is all the same, home page etc.

Settings page has changed but thats not an everyday item.

picture in picture is not enabled for my tv x93, and voice search for browser wont get much usage.

profile.country.GB.title
nospamjl

I agree. A total waste of an hour on a total waste of a TV .

I see Youview is as bad as ever (I don't even know if it was updated) so no STILL no support for channels above 800 . I get error YVM2305 which is unfixable in the current operating system. 

Twice I've seen artefacts on screen. 

Basically don't buy Sony .

profile.country.GB.title
tractor9

Is SAMBA still embedded in this update?  Its the reason why Iam not keen to update.

profile.country.GB.title
darrenj11

SAMBA is embedded and this was the first version my TV had with SAMBA, I turned it all on during the install, however not figured out how or when its used.

The discover bar is still the same as old version - so when does SAMBA come in?

profile.country.GB.title
iOllivier

Upgraded my UK KD-65XD8599 last night with steps:

- Factory reset

- Basic initial setup of N6.0

- Upgrade to N7.0 over USB

- Skip Sat Tuner setup, TVtuner setup, Samba

All was already good so far, so then:

- Developer Menu ON

- Removed services/apps with ADB termial app:

com.google.android.inputmethod.japanese
   com.sony.dtv.sonyshelf
   com.sony.dtv.sonyselect
   com.sony.dtv.bravialifehack
   com.sony.dtv.networkrecommendation
  com.sony.dtv.watchtvrecommendation
  com.sony.dtv.irbrecommendation
  com.sony.dtv.woprecommendation
  com.sony.dtv.recommendationservice
  com.sony.snei.video.hhvu
  tv.samba.ssm
  com.sony.dtv.interactivetvutil.ppbridge
  com.sony.dtv.interactivetvutil
  com.sony.dtv.interactivetvutil.output
  com.sony.dtv.interactivetvplatform
  com.sony.dtv.bleadvertiseservice
  com.sony.dtv.b2b.hotellanguage
  com.sony.dtv.b2b.hotelmenu
  com.sony.dtv.photosharingplus

Full setup of Netflix, Plex, Amazon, Kodi, HystackTv, ApptitudeTV, Youtube, VLC, Vevo, FS Explorer

Connected: IP-tuner, AppleTv, Playstation 4 Pro

Didn't test it all but whatever I could check last night run without a single issue.

Even managed to watch just released SW The Last jedi from my DLNA NAS.

No problem update in my case.

Bare in mind I do not watch live tv using internal tuners neither use internal YouVie, TV tuner SatTuner neither TV recording.

I have to test yet the new PiP and Task Switcher.

profile.country.GB.title
arronshields

Samba IS in this update, but you don't have to enable it (it's an option during the install). As I understand it, it's a background monitoring service to provide realtime data to advertisers and such as to our watching habits.

I did not enable it, not with the limited bandwidth I have, nevermind the privacy issues. 

Personally, so far the TV appears to be MUCH more stable and hasn't had a single crashed app since I updated. This is a dramatic improvement over how the TV was behaving with 6.x.

I have noticed the sound overrun issue when turning the TV off and the update hasn't fixed the audio pass through issues I have with 3rd party apps such as Plex (i.e. they can't pass 5.1 to my amp). I had hoped this would remedy this as it has for other Android platforms such as Fire TV who've moved to Android 7.x, so slow clap there for Sony on another well executed API. 

No Alexa support or Google assistant support for my 2015 TV either...  I don't think Sony are really embracing having an evolving, updating OS on their TVs. Making us buy new hardware for software features does not sit well. 

profile.country.GB.title
tomallen35

Has anyone else experienced problems with Bravia Sync, ARC or HDMI control after installing this update? 

Last night my XD93 was talking very happily to my STR-DN1040 but since the update, the TV refuses to see the amp.

I have my Switch plugged into the amp and when I tried that, I could see the picture on the TV and the audio was coming out of the amp, but I cannot for the life of me get the amp's menu to show up on the TV so am struggling to figure out how to solve this.

I have turned both the TV and the amp off at the wall - waited about 5-10 mins then turned them back on (which has helped once in the past) but still nothing. I have a 15m HDMI cable going from HDMI-A on the amp to HDMI 4 on the TV - none of that has changed.

Short of a factory reset on both the TV and the amp, I'm out of ideas. Hopefully someone knows how to fix this?

profile.country.SI.title
mikrohard
Explorer

I have the same TV (XD93) and STR-DH550... I had to physically unplug the HDMI cable and plug it in again to get ARC working again. Rebooting the TV or receiver (or both) didn't work. Unpluging the power cords for several minutes also didn't help. But I had the same issue every now or then already before on Marshmallow...

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Same ARC issue after cold boot here. My soundbar is a Teufel Cinebar 52THX.

Moreover the TV does not automatically switch to the Apple TV 4K anymore. I have to do it manually several times before it actually works.

This update is really bad for me. Have to do a factory reset and hope it will fix it.