Join now - be part of our community!

KD-65XD9305-No Surround Sound from optical

profile.country.GR.title
mnmjkk
Explorer

KD-65XD9305-No Surround Sound from optical

I have connect my TV to my old Yamaha AV receiver(No HDMI input) via optical cable.

I only get stereo sound when playing movies.

Tried different cables, all options from the sound menu and also confirmed my AV receiver can play the same content with surround from different sources.

Any suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Just be aware that the Sound settings from Home are different than the ones you get from inside an app. Straight from Home you'll get these extra settings:

Bravia_2017-11 05_08.16.11.png

"Auto 1" is the value I keep to have the surround audio in output. If in your TV it is different this should fix it.

Then there is a big issue (read: mess) with the audio passthrough. If you are playing your own movies basically only Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus are supported (the latter also depends on your AVR capabilities. With my Yamaha RX-v483 it worked via optical when I tested it, although I obviously only use HDMI ARC).

The best way to test it is with movies on a USB disk played with the Sony Video app. That app uses Sony's custom APIs for the audio passthrough. Even AAC 5.1 get converted to DD 5.1, while in general they would get played as PCM 2.0.

profile.country.GR.title
mnmjkk
Explorer

Jecht_Sin

Thank you for your reply,

I tested using the Sony App, and it worked.

It appears that the problem is with the VLC player. audio output.

The Sony video app is rather basic, do you know if there is any other app available I can try?

From your message I understand the TV will only output Dolby Digital and Dolby digital plus sound through HDMI and optical, is this correct.