Join now - be part of our community!

KD55A8BU / NO TELETEXT

profile.country.GB.title
Robcally

KD55A8BU / NO TELETEXT

I purchased a Sony KD55A8BU and when you press the Teletext button you do not get any teletext at all I contacted Sony support and they don't offer any answers to this problem and I wondered if anybody had any similar problems and found an answer.

Regards.

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
Robcally

Hi Thanks again for your reply Please find attached a couple of images of page 100 on a panasonic tv on BBC 1 AND BBC2 channels.

Regards,

Robert CallanP1010590.JPGP1010589.JPG

profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

Thanks for that Robert, you've cleared this one up. We are talking about different things. These pictures are not Teletext - they are Digital Text (the modern day version of it). Also known as Red Button Text because you can access it using the red button on your remote.

I've just tried this on my Sony TV in the kitchen which is also connected to the internet via WiFi. When I press the Text button, I get a text page like you've shown coming up.

RED BUTTON TEXT.jpg

I have noticed in the past that this doesn't always work though (on any of my TVs) and I've presumed it was because the service was down (just like CEEFAX used to occasionally be off air). And incidentally, neither my BT Youview set top box nor my Philips TV do anything when I press their Text buttons.

However, this doesn't bother me because, since my TV is connected to the internet, by pressing the Red Button, I get an enhanced media-rich version of it called Connected Red Button instead.   

CONNECTED RED BUTTON TEXT.jpg

This is much better in that you get video content as well as text only items.

I can't explain why your Sony TV doesn't give you anything when you press the Text button. Sometimes mine can seem very slow to respond. But try pressing the Red Button instead and see if that brings something up. If it does, then your problem is solved. Let me know if this works for you. 

One word of caution though....don't get too attached to Digital Text. The BBC are considering scrapping it as they need to save money to pay for all the other things the government have offloaded on to them!

profile.country.GB.title
Robcally

Hi Yes I am connected via an outside aerial on the roof and also via the internet if I press the red button I get the red button text on all the tvs including the Sony one but if I press the teletext button on all tvs I also get digital teletext that comes through the aerial but not on the sony tv so there must be a problem with the Sony tv as it is different from every other I have ever owned.

Yes they had originally planned to cease the service this August 2020 but having a lot of complaints about that because the deaf people rely on the service that the decision has now been shelved.

Regards.

profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

Ok. I'm pleased to hear you are getting the Connected Red Button version of the Digital Text service. Which is the same but offers enhanced content to the text only service. So I don't think you have a problem - you're not actually missing out on anything. Perhaps, like my Philips TV and the BT Youview set top box, they have just been designed to work differently from what went before? Who knows? Sony works in mysterious ways! Enjoy it (as long as it lasts.) 

profile.country.GB.title
Robcally

Had a phone call today from someone called Nadine as I found I was getting nowhere with service so I requested a call back from someone senior not convinced they new much about the problem and all she told me as we do not have Teletext on these models anymore due to the BBC but all other tv manufacturers do .

I am not convinced by this answer but they say that's the end of it and CLOSED THE CASE. So now more discussions on this subject this is great customer service ? do you agree.

I am looking at other options on this problem as I am in discussions with Currys where I purchased this set from to see if I can return this set and buy a Oled LG with Teletext as they still have Teletext on all there Oled TV sets.

I will keep you updated how i get on.

profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

As I said previously Rob, my Philips television (2018 model) doesn't do anything when pressing the Text button (and neither does mt BT Youview set top box). So not all other manufacturers do this as you suggest. I get Connected Red Button when pressing Red though and this provides everything Digital Text (not TELETEXT as nobody in the UK broadcasts that) does and more besides. As you get this too I don't understand why you're still obsessing about this. Good luck with Currys.