Join now - be part of our community!

KD65XF8796BU keeps saying ethernet disconnected

profile.country.GB.title
Marcmcgrath
Explorer

KD65XF8796BU keeps saying ethernet disconnected

Hi All,

Bought the above last month from Currys. I really like the TV no issues with anything else. 

The TV is connected via an ethernet which is connected to a five port switch. Which is connected to a powerline adapter which goes to my sky broadband downstairs (live in a townhouse).

Every so often the TV keeps saying ethernet disconnected and it will cut off from the built in netflix/Amazon prime/YouTube. 

None of my other devices suffer from these disconnects. I can be on ps4 playing cod and the error message will pop up in the top right but wont disconnect me from cod or my game etc.

It is literally only the TV that drops connection not anything else connected to the switch. 

TV is running latest firmware. 

34 REPLIES 34
profile.country.GB.title
Aitchgee
Explorer

I don’t know what Sky box you have, but on mine it was easy to turn off IPv6. The box is, I think Sky’s latest: a few months ago I was having trouble and the Sky support person realised I was using an old set up, with a BT router as well as a Sky box.  That was the standard set up Sky had installed years ago. Anyway, they sent me the new box (for a nominal charge) which works fine, and, as I said, I was able to turn off IPv6. There was a small snag- the new box has only two ports and I wanted to cable in multiple devices, so I had to get an 8 port switch.

Perhaps you should talk to Sky, if you haven’t already.

Anyway, apologies if this is of no relevance or interest.

profile.country.GB.title
mickyt

Thank you so much for your response, Have at last managed to disable IPv6
and so far have had no connection problem. Only concern is a small drop in
signal (wifi). Thanks again for your help👍
profile.country.GB.title
David6479
Explorer

A Google search brought me here and a big thanks from me too. I have a KD-55XG8096 and was getting the intermittent Ethernet disconnections popping up which was stopping the TV from streaming, yet nothing else was affected. Disabling the IPv6 in my SKY router seems to have fixed this problem as it's been four days now and not a single disconnection.

Nice one!

profile.country.GB.title
RandomeNeweGuy

Ipv6 probably has nothing to do with this. My setup worked fine for months until after a power cycle. No change in network. 

Some magic incantations and dance sequences will eventually make it work again until the next time someone sins against it. That is, I habe not discerned any patter or logic to why it sometimes works and other times doesn't.

Interestingly, the settings page shows that the TV is connected, but whatever system service is responsible for the notification to apps using the sdk that the network is online doesn't pick it up.

As a result, applications which check network status using the api don't work, and those which ignore network status and simply attempt connection work fine.

Just about fed up with this sluggish and buggy 2017 TV and definitely won't be buying another Sony TV when I next need to upgrade.

profile.country.GB.title
RandomeNeweGuy

13092347-1925-4B5C-B24F-A67495AC10D8.jpeg

profile.country.GB.title
mickyt

Had same problem for months and had same downer on Sony. Removing ipv6 did
not work for me either. Sony software update some months ago fixed the
problem. since then I get the occasional not connected issue which
resolves almost immediately and suspect small wifi ping spikes.
profile.country.GB.title
RandomeNeweGuy

Thanks. It's definitely nothing to do with wifi, but a software defect. I'm using an ethernet cable. I'm on the latest firmware released in April 2020. 

I did a factory reset and it's now working fine, again with nothing else changed on the network.

Will see how long it stays working this time, but this is almost certainly my last Sony TV. 

profile.country.GB.title
Ian-Luddite
Explorer

Hi 

I  have also been having the lost ethernet issue for about a month. (Aug 2020)

The only temporary solution that works is a factory reset which lasts a max of 24 hrs.

Id like to try the IPV6 solution mentioned, but Im a total luddite, can anyone provide help, in small words please.

NB I am using Virgin cable broadband.

Many thanks in advance

profile.country.GB.title
RandomeNeweGuy

Virgin Media does not support IPV6 anyway, and that's why I think the issue is not Dependant on ipv6.

My current semi-educated guess, totally unvalidated is that it perhaps lines up with DHCP lease renewal. Very likely your VM (virgin media) router is handing out IP addresses valid for 24 hours only, and every time the TV goes to renew the lease, it winds up confused. This is why I don't outrightly dismiss Ipv6, because I dont think you can totally disable ipv6. There will almost certainly be a link-local address, something like fe80:... 

I'm totally guessing here, but I think the system logic for signalling that you're connected is getting hung up on the link-local ipv6 address which it is supposed to ignore. Sony could easily investigate this and issue a proper software fix, but I am not sure how one could get this across to them. They probably just assume that their users don't know what they're talking about.

Anyway, you can try changing your dhcp lifetime to something longer, like 30 days. Assuming you don't habe more than 200 devices on your network, this will not cause any issues. Try googling "increase dhcp lifetime virgin media hub 3 router".

profile.country.GB.title
RandomeNeweGuy

Mybown VM hub is in modem mode so i can't see the dhcp pages, but Google suggests that VM calls it "lease" and the value is in seconds. One day is 86400 seconds, so just multiply 86400 with however many days you want., e.g 86400 * 30 for a 30 day lease.

This specifies how long a device will hold on to its address. You have capacity for 254 devices by default, so a long lifetime has no impact as long as your device list stays fairly the same, which it tends to be.