Join now - be part of our community!

New Bravia TV

profile.country.GB.title
TVproblems

New Bravia TV

We lack much knowledge about what we are doing but we have managed to set up our new TV on WiFi but we cannot get it to connect with our freesat box. We checked and the free sat works on the old set. Have we be sold the wrong tv or can any one suggest what we might be doing wrong?

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
TVproblems

Thanks so much for all your help.

We contacted Curry’s. After many pressing of buttons they said we had to go to Sony and gave a number so quickly we had to go through the whole process again to write it down! Sony went through much of what you have suggested and then decided it needed reprogramming! They have twice said they are sending an email so I can do this but it has not arrived. Of course you cannot ring the shop we bought it from and talk to them...such is progress. Difficult not to sound like a grumpy old person but it should have been easy to do this and it’s not!

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@TVproblems 

Well, you have a result, anyway.

By getting you to call Sony, Curry’s have acknowledged that you have a fault with the set.

And it may well be the path of least resistance to wait for the email from Sony to arrive.

It is probably going to tell you how to factory reset the TV; this may or may not clear the fault.

However, your redress for faulty goods is against the retailer who sold it to you, not the manufacturer, irregardless of any guarantee or warranty you might have from Sony; the Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes this perfectly clear, and Curry’s know this perfectly well, but they are banking on you not knowing it.

So if the email from Sony never arrives, or you carry out the instructions and it doesn’t fix the TV, call Curry’s and reject the TV. Do not accept any offer of a repair; but accept a refund or a replacement, your choice.

You may be guided in your choice here by the information that this is not exactly a current model, especially if you think the price you paid didn’t reflect that.

Though if it did, and you would be happy with a replacement, I’m sure Curry’s will let you take your Freesat box to the store and check the replacement out before it is delivered.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@TVproblems 

A little more checking reveals that

(a) Curry’s price is very competitive

(b) Despite its 2107 model year, this set is still in Sony’s current range

(c) If you want a 40” set, this is the better of Sony’s two 2017 offerings

(d) There aren’t any later 40” sets from Sony anyway

However, if you can accommodate a 43” set, you can do much better, and Curry’s have the year newer KDL43WF663 set for only £10 more than the one you have now. 

profile.country.GB.title
TVproblems

Wow, you are amazing! Thank you for all your efforts. I did find a scart cable that fitted and the Bush logo came up and then BBC 1. It would not switch to any other stations so I tried to go to settings but could not get to the screen where it searched for stations. It just would not let me move on. We will have to go back to the shop as you suggest and insist they sort it out. Thank you again, you have been far more help than the ‘official’ channels!

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@TVproblems 

Thanks for your kind words.

Just to clarify a couple of things, though:-

You have Freesat, but do you have a terrestrial aerial as well? If so, have you plugged that into the TV and tuned it? Doesn’t matter if not, but just so that I know...

When you got that BBC1 up, it was from the Freesat box, yes? And to get other channels you were using the remote for the Freesat box, not the TV remote?

But you still couldn’t get any other channels on the Freesat box? Which is weird, as nothing should have changed there?

Or were you trying to use the new TV remote? Which, if it can even control the Freesat box at all, needs setting up to do that, and probably hasn’t been.

If so, try again, but don’t try to use the TV remote for anything other than choosing the HDMI input you are going to watch, and making volume, sound, and picture adjustments on the TV.

And use the Freesat box remote for switching channels and so on, on the Freesat box.

As ever, please report back on the above, and if any of it makes progress with this.

We can worry if either remote can control the other device or not once we have the basics working.

profile.country.GB.title
TVproblems

Hi Roy?

Its all working! I finally got the email, not sure if it did any good as I couldn’t complete all the steps, some of the terms did not match. However Since the scary had shown signs of working, plugged it back in HDMI socket and it worked! It took me a while to realise it had as I was using the wrong remote to try and change channels! After a day of trying to get it working I stopped thinking clearly! Great result in the end.

thank you for your interest, help and support.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@TVproblems 

Great! So you have the best current Sony 40” TV, at a good price, and now working.

Curry’s off the hook, Sony off the hook.

I suspected a ‘wrong remote’ issue, but these things have to be described tactfully 😛

All you have to do now is enjoy it...