Join now - be part of our community!

YouView Picture quality KD-43XG8196

profile.country.GB.title
Riggie5454
Explorer

YouView Picture quality KD-43XG8196

When I watch the TV using the built-in YouView service the picture quality looks quite flat, and it doesn't shout out HD for some reason, we always use a Humax 1800T PVR for the recording capability and somehow the picture quality always looks great in comparison.

I don't fully understand the YouView system and would like to ask a few questions.

1/   I presume the YouView signal is directly from the Roof Ariel to the TV tuner while watching currently broadcasted programs?

2/  Then it must switch over to a WiFi signal as soon as you click on programs say,  broadcasted yesterday

then if you press the Green button your back to YouView Ariel signal?

3/  Is the signal used,  exactly the same as the Freeview signal?

4/ If I alter picture and sound settings for the YouView picture,  will that alter the Humax picture also?

or have I got that wrong? 

It all functions correctly but it seems as if it does not do justice to the TV,  using the Humax some of the channels give fantastic picture quality and I cannot fault the Sony Picture at times.

I have a brand new Ariel installed, and an internet connection speed of 35 Mbps ( ping 18 ms).

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Riggie5454 

1/   I presume the YouView signal is directly from the Roof Aerial to the TV tuner while watching currently broadcast programmes?

Yes, though when you are looking at the EPG, some extra information about the programmes comes over the internet.

2/  Then it must switch over to a WiFi signal as soon as you click on programmes say,  broadcast yesterday

It doesn’t switch. Both are on all the time. But when you click on a programme broadcast yesterday in the EPG, you are automatically taken to whichever Player app the broadcaster uses, and the programme is played over the internet from that.

then if you press the Green button you’re back to YouView Aerial signal?

I don’t know. I press the green button on my remote when watching a programme on catchup and nothing happens. What do you think the green button is supposed to do?

3/  Is the signal used,  exactly the same as the Freeview signal?

It is the Freeview signal.

4/ If I alter picture and sound settings for the YouView picture,  will that alter the Humax picture also?

That depends on the set, and I don’t know the answer for your model; some have just one lot of settings, but better sets let you adjust the settings for the broadcast picture, and each HDMI input, separately.

Though as the picture from the Humax seems vibrant, and that from YouView flat and dull, I would expect that you have individual settings, and that you should tweak the picture while watching YouView to get some vibrancy in it. Because Sony TVs, and YouView, give nothing away on broadcast picture quality, even to BluRay players.

or have I got that wrong? 

I do hope not.

It all functions correctly but it seems as if it does not do justice to the TV,  using the Humax some of the channels give fantastic picture quality and I cannot fault the Sony Picture at times.

I understand. Get the YouView picture how you want it, and then cross-check the Humax picture for comparability, as YouView shouldn’t be giving anything away to it.

And do let us know how you get on!

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Riggie5454
Explorer

Hi royabrown,  thanks for your assistance will try changing a setting or two on different inputs and see what happens, and the green button sorry about that, all it does is take you back to the current time on the EPG.

P.S.

Is there any way to stop the TV screen going into this " Dark Mode " when you use the EPG, I see a few complaints about it but I think it is part of the Youview program and not Sony,  so think we are stuck with it.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Riggie5454 

Yes, you are stuck with the dark mode, alas.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Riggie5454
Explorer

Yes, the KD-43XG8196 does allow you to have different settings on the inputs, the contrast was set 10 lower on the Youview picture and a few other settings were one or two points different.  It is now exactly the same and a great improvement ........... pity about the EPG " SONY "

I would just like to say the 4K video I have watched on this set is fantastic , well worth the money.

Many thanks, royabrown2