Join now - be part of our community!

HT-RT5 surround/rear speakers not making any sound

markellis123
Explorer

HT-RT5 surround/rear speakers not making any sound

Hi, recently had a terrible old time with my KD55-X8509CBU and it failing to install firmware updates or properly reset - someone on the Android TV issue/complaints thread sorted me out with a secret reset file which fixed the issue hence me coming here for help despite having just got off the phone with Sony support.....

Anyway - got the RT5 for Christmas. Plugged everything in and sat patiently with the auto-calibration mic in order for the speakers to be correctly tweaked. The soundbar made some noises but then made a 'bad' noise when it was asking the surround/rear speakers to join in. When going through the menu and trying the test tone, it became apparent that the three speakers on the soundbar as well as the subwoofer were happy enough - it was just both rear speakers which were silent. 

Tried a factory reset. Tried setting up a 'secure' connection, which led me to discover that the soundbar knows full well that the rear speakers are there - on the TV, it says 'connecting' whilst the soundbar looks for the three wireless speakers. As I press the secure connection button on each of the three wireless speakers, the soundbar then tells me each has made a successful connection. The light on each speaker shows as orange rather than green, as it's now secure. However the rear speakers still made no noise - despite the 'secure' process proving to me that it is indeed properly connected to all of the wireless speakers. 

Rang Sony up, explained all of this and we tried a factory reset (hooray!) which of course did not solve the issue. He then asked me to run an optical cable from the TV to the soundbar and fiddle with the input button on the soundbar remote. He seemed to be expecting optical/digital to be an option, but it was not. He then made me look in the 'skip input' submenu, presumably in case the optical/digital selection had been set to skip. Of course, it hadn't (we had just done another reset after all). Anyway, he asked me to try some content so I threw Netflix on (as I didn't have the Sky or PS4 HDMIs plugged in, just to try and simplify things as much as possible) and of course there was no sound from the surround speakers (surely it would have made more sense to go straight to the test tone to try and get any sound whatsoever out of the rear speakers?).

That was where he took my email address and promised to escalate the issue.

I heard that line when I rang up about the KD55-X8509CBU and got no useful help other than the aforementioned forum user who helped me greatly.

Right. Rant over - any ideas?! Any more forum knights in shining armour?!?!

Mark

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I cant say this will fix things, but can you please install the latest firmware update for this system.  For some reason the link is not working at the moment, but try later anyhow.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-tvhc/sony-htnt3-htst9-firmware-update-0343/HT-...

Once installed, can you do another factory reset - i know youve done it multiple times, but after a fw update, it can help.

Before you set it back up again, for testing purposes, can you move the 2rear speakers and the subwoofer closer together and closer to the sound bar.  I think, either confirming or ruling out a wireless issue should be the next step.  Also, it might help the initial pairing of the speakers.  Do a test tone.

If all works, move speakers to where you want them and do a calibration again.

Iif it fails... Hmmm.....

Cheers

markellis123
Explorer

Hello again Quinnicus! Just tried the update and it says it's already on the latest version (I had done the update on Christmas morning). Will see if it does anything different via USB...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there

As you've done the update, skip this part.  Try the other of moving it all closer together.

Cheers

markellis123
Explorer

(Had just done the USB anyway - it says it's already updated)

It's currently resetting. Will try the speaker thing next. However surely it won't work? The speakers are lit up green and the fact that I was able to successfully set up a 'secure' connection suggests there aren't any wireless issues? Anyway - thanks again mate

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand where your coming from.  But with wireless, you can get an initial connection, and then signal drops.  The prblem is, other than changing the 'rf band' from auto to 5.2 and 5.8 GHz, there is no other settings to modify.  So im going on a theory of some type of 'environmental' interferrence.

markellis123
Explorer

No joy unfortunately. 

While I have an 'expert' here... Where am I best having my HDMIs (for the Sky+HD & the PS4)? Both into the TV or both into the sound bar? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm.  Thats a shame.  My only conclusion is that there is a fault somewhere.  I can only advise you to either persist with Sony Support, or try contacting the retailer you purchased it from to exchange it with another.

In regards to your HDMI question - as you have a newer tv, it doesnt really matter.  My preference though is to plug devices into the soundbar or whatever home theatre system you have. 

Im sorry, but i dont really know how to help you further 😞  but happy to try and answer other questions.

Cheers

markellis123
Explorer

Thanks for taking the time to try! Appreciate it :slight_smile:

Well, I got it at a great rate through someone who works for Sony - he's already offered to come and get it off me. Will give Sony support a few days though as he's not back in work til the 3rd anyway

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool.  At least you have a 'plan' :slight_smile:

You're welcome.