Join now - be part of our community!

STR DN1040 - HDMI Output

BForster
Explorer

STR DN1040 - HDMI Output

Hi Guys, I'm Barry and this is my first post, so I apologise if I make mistakes, or ask a stupid question that's already been asked before. I'm not very techy so please be tolerant.

I have a 1040 with several devices connected via HDMI :- DVD Recorder, WDTV Live Media Player, Sky+ Box. These output to the Sony Bravia via the HDMI A [ARC] output and all work well.

I wish to connect a set of Sennheiser RS185 Wireless Headphones so I can listen to the audio on headphones [my hearing is getting a bit dodgy] while my Wife listenens through the speakers. The Sennheisers have a 'docking station' which has an Optical Digital Input, but the 1040 has no Optical Digital Output!

I wish to ask you techy Guys, How can I connect the 1040 to the Sennheisers? Can  I connect a device such as:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optical-Toslink-Converter-Adapter-Splitter/dp/B00SIZEPOQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

from the HDMI B Output on the 1040 to the Splitter and then connect an Optical cable from the Splitter to the Sennheisers.

If I now select HDMI A+B from the remote will this give me the Audio via the headphones together with audio through the speakers no matter which device is selected on the 1040?

I hope that makes sense and hope to receive an answer I can follow.

Many thanks, and festive greetings to you all,

Barry Forster

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Barry,

Welcome to the forums, I wish every new member wrote such clear and easy to understand posts as you, you're doing great so far! :wink:

I have the same 1040 receiver as you and although it's some time ago now I seem to recall someone else asking this question a while back. I believe the answer was no.., you can't use wireless headphones with this receiver even with the Optical / Toslink Converter. You could however use normal wired headphones and attach them to the front headphone jack however that will mute the sound from the speakers.

Hopefully someone can prove me wrong but in the meantime if you hang fire for a while I'll see if I can find that original post and see what the answer was.

Edit:

Unfortunately I can't find any mention of this question on these forums though it does get asked quite a bit on the US froums but as yet none of those posts have been solved with a suitable solution, sorry!

As an alternative solution perhaps you could try connecting your wireless headphones to your TV if it has an Optical Out whilst your wife listens to the audio via the receiver. If that doesn't work you might need to try wired headphones instead on your TV if it has a headphone socket.

For this to work you would need to set the Audio out in the receiver settings to AMP+TV, I've added the instructions for doing this below:-

• Using your receiver remote control, press the HOME menu

• Open SETTINGS

• Open HDMI SETTINGS and change AUDIO OUT to AMP+TV

Please do reply back if you have any success. Fingers crossed!

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
BForster
Explorer

Hi MK Slinky, Many thanks for your reply and efforts. I do hope you are wrong and that the HDMI out will produce audio and video signals that I will be able to use, with the splitter to get the audio to the headphones. Thanks very much for your time, Regards, Barry.
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Barry,

You're welcome! 

You could always try one of these devices from Amazon but whether it will work I can't say for sure. Amazon are usually pretty good about returning items if they're unsuitable but it's a decision only you can make.

If you need help with any other aspects of your receiver please don't hesitate to ask.

Best of luck!

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
BForster
Explorer

Hi, Thanks for your help again, I think I will risk a purchase from Amazon, but I've also got an email into Sony Tech and am waiting for a reply to whether the HDMI [out] B is live with audio and video signals when the 1040 is playing stuff, and whether it will feed the splitter. I can then hope that the splitter separates the audio from the video! Do you know whether the HDMI [out] B is live? Regards, Barry.
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Barry,

I can answer a part of your previous reply. I looked at the user manual (download it here) and it gives the following advice for switching HDMI Inputs (see page 80) :

Switching the monitors that output the HDMI video signals

When you have two monitors connected to the HDMI OUT A and HDMI OUT B jacks, you can switch the output for these two monitors using the HDMI OUTPUT button on the remote control.

1. Turn on the receiver and the two monitors.

2. Press HDMI OUTPUT.

Each time you press the button, the output will be switched as follows: 

HDMI A --->  HDMI B --->  HDMI A + B --->  HDMI OFF ---> HDMI A…

Notes:

• If the compatible video format differs between the monitors connected to the HDMI OUT A jack and the HDMI OUT B jack of the receiver, “HDMI A + B” may not work. 
  • Depending on the playback equipment you connect, “HDMI A + B” may not work.

With the above in mind it shouldn't matter the fact that you won't have two monitors running, audio should still be present over the HDMI cable, the question is whether it will work for the purpose you intend?

Hopefully Sony Support can answer that bit for you or if you're feeling brave try it out and see.

Hope that helps.

Feel free to give Kudos if you found my reply useful, just click the little heart symbol to the right of this reply.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Additional reading and resources you might find useful

Support for STR-DN1040

The following video reviews are also useful to watch - (Links open in a new window)

What Hi-Fi Awards Winner Product of the year 2013 Video

SONY STR-DN1040 7.2-Channel Receiver - Product Tour 

(US made video - some features are not available on the UK version such as Blutooth)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Without reading the whole thread, i too have a set of headphones that can connect optically to equipment, and like your Sennheiser, there is an option to use RCA jacks to connect as well.  Somestimes i use the optical on my PS3/4, but mainly i use a RCA to Headphone adapter to connect to my AV Recievers headphone port.

So would this not be a better/easier solution:

0060260004_105_grande.jpeg

Cheers

BForster
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus, Thank you very much for your interest and reply to my rather strange query. First point that occurs to me is that I do not have a RCA out connection, I only have HDMI, but would there be any noticeable difference in sound quality using RCA connections as opposed to Optical? Thank you once again, Regards, Barry.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not strange, as i too had this connundrum :grin:

At the front of you DN1040, you have a headphone jack:

863ca6d27a4811e276833cd883086f0c.png

At the back of the headphone dock, you have the option of optical or RCA.

tweak_dk_sennheiser_rs_185_10_io_fullsize_1000px.jpg

If you connect these two from the RCA port at the back of the headphone dock to the headphone jack on the front of the AV Reciever, it will do the job.

12570.jpg

0060260004_105_grande.jpeg

I dont hear much difference in sound quality, but i do have a difference in my hearing from one ear to the other (too loud music when younger!)

But for the cost of less than a fiver - doesnt hurt to try an see for yourself :slight_smile:

Cheers